all posts post new thread

Old Forum Which move hits your lats most? Q 2 everyone

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JediMind

Level 5 Valued Member
Comrades, please name the exercise that's hardest on your lats. You can name 2 for righteousness.

Thanks 

For me, it's dips and chins.  I can't do pullups without shoulder pain, and I don't press often or heavy, so I may not be doing the most lat-intensive lifts.

In terms of soreness, for me it's front lever holds. If I haven't done them recently, or in much volume, my back is simply lit up for the next couple days.

Pullups, leg raises, front lever, bench press (yes, bench press), bent press.

Steve, if your shoulder issue isn't severe or surgery related, try shrugging heavy weights, then heavy bicep curls, do these with correct form then perform one pull up to check if it hurts. These helped me with my shoulder issue which came from muscle strength recruitment.

Andy,  which exercise recruits your lats to the fullest and wants more. Intensive.

I find deadlift work my lats differently than pull ups. It's just so hard to keep the bar touching the shins and thighs as I go up or down.

Pavel, I believe you. Same goes for my lats doing OAP.

Pullups (especially one-armers and sternum chins)

Front lever work

Bent over rows (pendlay and yates style especially)

High rep (50+) deadlifts create unreal amounts of lat fatigue

Hollow position drills from the pullup bar

Hmmm...

A good pullup for me is 210 bodyweight + 80 lbs = 290 total.  A good deadlift is 435.  So the deadlift is 50% more total weight.  This suggests prioritizing deadlifts for a general "pull."  And just including a few pullups to let the lats and elbow flexors catch up.

I've been doing pull ups and chin ups for so long that I don't feel it anymore because I'm so use to them at this point.

I'm surprised no one here has pointed out the Lat Pull Down exercise!

Thanks for your replies y'all. Helping me immensely. Already started doing the long forgotten but ever loved front lever.

I used to do rope climbing once, it was about 16 ft or more. It was an experience. But stopped doing it after noticing wrists bend sideways when I tried to keep elbows stuck to my side.

Thanks again

Hello Omar Faruk,

Chinning variations. My own take on sternum chins hits the entire upper back like nothing else. Also snatch grip pulls seems to do a good number on me (love 'em!).

Ab wheel rollouts seem to work my lats pretty hard.

What really help wake up my sleepy left lat was a little exercise from the physical therapist. It made my shoulder stop hurting. Stand while holding to a suspension trainer with one hand and lean directly sideways with arm straight. Then bring the elbow to the side of the ribs so the tricep and lat come together.

Gentlemen, great replies; I really appreciate this.

Mike, heavy MP's complements my pull ups uniquely. But I do it like 6 pull ups with 20 kg between legs then resting quickly to 1 or 2  50 kg MPs.

Stefan, I always use the thumb rule grip for chins and pulls. But I'll  definitely give other grip variations a try.

Reinhardt ( from dragondoor, right?), I've actually got hooked into kroc rows very recently, like a week. Before, I was always reluctant of kroc rows  as the form seemed dodgy.

Thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom