all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which one book to buy for flexibility/mobility/movement?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

glorat

First Post
Hi all,

First time poster here! It was about 10 years ago I was briefly lent a copy of Relax Into Stretch and I remember being amazed that with not so much effort I could touch my toes for the first time. Since then, I've gotten older, not really trained and realised I'm getting very dysfunctional in my movements and need to get flexibility/mobility back, particularly in my posterior chain. I'm reasonably comfortable to get back on the strength side of things but lack of mobility is limiting progress.

I still have my copy of Supple Leopard but I thought RIS was a great companion. Is RIS still the book to buy or has Pavel or others put out newer revised material in the last 19 years?

Thanks,

All of Pavel's material advocates some type of mobility and stretching. His two books dedicated to it are Relax Into Stretch and Super Joints. Two other sources I would recommend are Original Strength (originalstrength.net) and Ground Force Method (groundforcemethod.com).

Original strength is great. The books are a bit content light because there is a lot of repeated ground. The original Original Strength should do.

I can also suggest Original Strength. Maybe also look into Flexible Steel.

What was a game changer for me was the Great Gama Protocol by @Pavel Macek - those daily movments, paired with some OS resets help me every day since release.

Hi all,

First time poster here! It was about 10 years ago I was briefly lent a copy of Relax Into Stretch and I remember being amazed that with not so much effort I could touch my toes for the first time. Since then, I've gotten older, not really trained and realised I'm getting very dysfunctional in my movements and need to get flexibility/mobility back, particularly in my posterior chain. I'm reasonably comfortable to get back on the strength side of things but lack of mobility is limiting progress.

I still have my copy of Supple Leopard but I thought RIS was a great companion. Is RIS still the book to buy or has Pavel or others put out newer revised material in the last 19 years?

Thanks,
RIS is still the book to buy. If you want a routine, check Flexible Steel.
For example this one:

Or this one:

If you want more freedom and movement joy, check Original Strength. Their youtube channel is gold, too, with lots of inspiration for movement snacks.

As mentioned before I can highly recommend @Pavel Macek Great Gama Protocol (GGP). I also use the Virtual Mobility Coach from The Ready State (Kelly Starrett). If adressing a specific body part/injury the programs from The Prehab Guys are great, too

I have to say I am impressed, it is like magic.

I watched the first 5 minutes of relax into stretch video of Pavel. I tested myself on the touch the ground with legs straight, able to touch the ground with the tips of the fingers. Performed the stretch as told in the video. And I am able to touch the floor with the palms of my hands.

I have never been able to do it before. I am over 40 and overweight, and not stretched in years. It is magic. How is it possible that I have never been taught this in my life before today?

I have to say I am impressed, it is like magic.

I watched the first 5 minutes of relax into stretch video of Pavel. I tested myself on the touch the ground with legs straight, able to touch the ground with the tips of the fingers. Performed the stretch as told in the video. And I am able to touch the floor with the palms of my hands.

I have never been able to do it before. I am over 40 and overweight, and not stretched in years. It is magic. How is it possible that I have never been taught this in my life before today?
Besides, RIS, and Flexible Steel, another good resource is Super Joints.

For stretching and flexibility I would recommend Thomas Kurz's Stretching Scientifically - it covers the same principles as RIS but with a bit more scientific meat.

However stretching may not be the cure for a dodgy shoulder, and SS is light on upper body stuff anyway (it is quite rooted in traditional martial arts and therefore mostly concerned with the splits although a lot of other stretches are also covered). I've personally found swinging a steel mace transformative for the shoulders, and I will definitely be checking out that shoulder reset booklet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom