all posts post new thread

Nutrition Which protein powder is right?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Interesting idea Al.....will you get better return on our investments with protein or vitamin supplements? And what about energy gels? You know, expand your portfolio....

If y'all send me your protein and other supplement money, I'll invest it in my TSP (a kind of 401k) and share the growth with you when I start pulling from it in about 20 years.
The problem I see there Al is that if your 401K doesn't perform any better than mine has, I just as well have wasted the money on protein powder. I think a better idea is that you send me your TSP money and everyone else their supplement money and I'll open up a gym. Gym's always seem to make money. ; }

The problem I see there Al is that if your 401K doesn't perform any better than mine has, I just as well have wasted the money on protein powder. I think a better idea is that you send me your TSP money and everyone else their supplement money and I'll open up a gym. Gym's always seem to make money. ; }

I think TSPs do better than most 401k's, but I don't really know.... if I withdrew the TSP account to send to you: 1. you wouldn't have enough operating capital; and 2. just the cost of doing so would put your gym in the red for a long while.

I'll keep wasting my money on booze ;]

hmmm, I don't think a protein supplement is a waste of money. There are a few things you get from taking a larger amount of protein in one serving, which is hard to get from just food. I eat food, too, plenty of meats, eggs, nuts.

Maybe many here are familiar with Mike Nelson? I'll let him explain. He does talk about all the options, but whey shakes is one of them, and in some ways the best.

http://www.michaelbehar.com/wp-cont...e-Not-Eating-Enought-Protein-Mens-Fitness.pdf

a

@Andy Alexander
Have you ever tested to eat less protein for some time? I was a 1g protein per 1lbs of bodyweight guy, but after reading ESE and How much Protein by Brad Pilon I switched to ESE fasting and only 70-100g protein per day (@~200lbs) and I feel better than before. I also gained muscle instead of loosing it.
Low protein consumption and fasting once or twice a week and I'm not a atrophying pile of s..t like I'm supposed to be if you listen to all those fitness mags, supplement manufacturers etc.

Even a huge amount of studys about whey won't convince me that a powder that went through multiple chemical processes during it's production is better than real food.
A lot of times it's the most convenient option, but never the best.

I'm actually probably not that much different in how much I normally get per day, than you, on average. While I do usually have a shake at lunch, I should clarify that for my post workout meal, I'll only have a shake if for some reason I'm not going to be eating a regular meal. If I'm more accurate in counting shakes per week, I probably average 1 or maybe even less than one per day. I had one this past weekend, for example. Total protein some days might be more, some days might be pretty low.

I don't try to do the 1g per lb of bodyweight thing, I just have some shakes, more for convenience.

On the "best" protein, I was just going by Mike's comment on that, and he was referring to absorb-ability. It gets into your system fast, and a good percentage of it is used by the body.
I still don't think they are bad, but I'm also a fan of real food. I eat a lot of eggs, meat, etc., as I've posted on another thread (we have our own chickens).

I also do IF, most often in the form of the Warrior Diet.

a

My post might come along as pure anti-supplements guy, but that's really not the case :)
I just want to give my opinion on the topic and maybe make people think about what they're doing.
and he was referring to absorb-ability. It gets into your system fast, and a good percentage of it is used by the body
This for example. "Fast absorbing" and terms like that sound really good, but are they truly good?
The vitamin c from a pill is absorbed faster than the vitamin c from an apple. Is the pill better because of this? IMO no.
Here's a nice video of Dr. Terry Wahls:
If you watch the whole thing you see that she tried supplementing the things she was lacking with pills, but it had no effect. Once she used real food to get those missing things her condition improved.

I understand the desire to want to get people to think about things. :)
I do actually think about it a lot and read and study a lot.

This topic was about protein, not vitamins or supplements in general. And I do think there is a difference. I like food. But I also cannot just have the opinion that a protein supplement isn't good because it can't be, because it's processed, when pretty much all the research I've seen on it indicates otherwise. Not everything is the same. Sure, I'm basing that on the likes of Mike Nelson and the research he's done and quoted from others. But it's fairly significant research. I do realize others have a different opinion.

And, I'm not really trying to be that dogmatic about it either. I'm a fan of protein, but I don't really count how much I eat, I don't try to get a minimum number(I merely have a notion of making sure I get a "decent" amount), I don't get up at 3am to have a shake to make sure my body isn't protein depleted.

I think overall I eat pretty well (when I'm eating pretty well), eat my veggies and other primitive foods, and have some shakes when I feel like it. The other day I did a getup with the Beast, without working on it, 100 snatches with the 24kg (which is not the bell for my age group) in 4:03, without really working on it. I don't take a single medication for any health problems at 54 years. Just sayin' :)

a

Ori Hofmekler advocates strongly for grass-fed whey. I get Promix for bulk off Amazon since you can find it discounted at a reasonable price.

When I search Promix Protein Powder on amazon.com, a few choices come up, including a Isolate. Could anyone comment on the differences between the first few things in the search results? NB: My youngest, age 19, makes protein shakes, lifts regularly, and is 5' 11" and 185 lbs. But he uses whatever I buy ...

-S-

When I search Promix Protein Powder on amazon.com, a few choices come up, including a Isolate. Could anyone comment on the differences between the first few things in the search results? NB: My youngest, age 19, makes protein shakes, lifts regularly, and is 5' 11" and 185 lbs. But he uses whatever I buy ...

-S-
I got the "PROMIX #1 Selling Unflavored 100% California Grass Fed Whey Protein, 5LB Bulk, Preservative Free, Mixes Instantly" option.
$80 is still not cheap (most grass-fed wheys are pretty steep), but at $16/lbs I think it's probably the best value as far as grass-fed wheys.
As a disclaimer: I'm not a whey "connoisseur" at all. I hardly ever fool around with whey. But when I was giving this a go, I was pleased with the quality of the product. I'm also paranoid of soy (whether that's a legit concern, that's another debate) and A LOT of powders out there have soy in them. If it's important to you, Promix is soy free, which was a selling point for me.

Having a quality protein powder is a smart move if you want to make positive changes.
Protein powders also happen to be a very large product category with many choices. Many have difficulty sorting through all the options and choosing the right one.
There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, unlike essential fatty acids (fats) and essential amino acids (protein), your body can continue to thrive anyway of carbohydrates as long as your body has everything else it needs.

I think it's all dependent on each one's individual circumstance. If you have the ability to eat right and eat regular it may not be needed. But if your schedule doesn't allow for this, then a protein shake may be of help.

Having stated the above, has anyone tried "bone broth" protein?

Bone Broth yes, but just as a part of normal meals. Can't really say one way or the other about effectiveness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom