all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which rubber mat (choices)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

st123

Level 1 Valued Member
After searching through the forums I have found that most people recommend the 6ftx4ft heavy duty rubber mat from Tractor Supply for protecting flooring. As this is out of stock at the moment I would appreciate if you could comment on which of these Amazon alternatives is most suitable?

1. ARKMat Lightweight EVA Horse Stable Floor Mat | 24mm Thick | 6 x 4ft: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
The problem with this is that it says lightweight rather than heavy duty.

2. Easimat 6’ x 4’ Rubber Gym Mats, Heavy Duty 10mm Thick Commercial Flooring: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Looks good but I can notice two potential problems: only 10mm rather than 20mm like the Tractor Supply one. Also some of the reviews mention that the pebble pattern is slippery and the bottom side doesn't seem to be made for standing on (flat with slightly deep grooves along it as shown in last pic).

3. Heavy Duty Large Rubber Mat Checker Plate 12mm Garage Gym Flooring Natural: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
I like this one the most but again 10mm not 20mm. Is this sufficient or would putting two on top of each other be a better idea?

Thanks!

1. ARKMat Lightweight EVA Horse Stable Floor Mat | 24mm Thick | 6 x 4ft: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
The problem with this is that it says lightweight rather than heavy duty.
Says it weighs 8 kg. A rubber mat of 1/2" or 3/4" thickness can weigh close to 100 lbs, so I'd say it depends on what you intend to use it for. I have a mat of similar material to this one that I use for getups, and it's fine, but I wouldn't be dropping my deadlifts onto it.

2. Easimat 6’ x 4’ Rubber Gym Mats, Heavy Duty 10mm Thick Commercial Flooring: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Looks good but I can notice two potential problems: only 10mm rather than 20mm like the Tractor Supply one. Also some of the reviews mention that the pebble pattern is slippery and the bottom side doesn't seem to be made for standing on (flat with slightly deep grooves along it as shown in last pic).
10 mm of rubber can be enough. I use something similar here, 1/2" thick, and it handles my deadlifts - which go up to about 350 lbs. - just fine.

3. Heavy Duty Large Rubber Mat Checker Plate 12mm Garage Gym Flooring Natural: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
I like this one the most but again 10mm not 20mm. Is this sufficient or would putting two on top of each other be a better idea?
This says 12 mm, not 10.

This really all depends on what you want to do. For me, getups on the heavier rubber mats aren't much better on my old knees and elbows than doing them on a hardwood floor, so I prefer the EVA for that.

-S-

Says it weighs 8 kg. A rubber mat of 1/2" or 3/4" thickness can weigh close to 100 lbs, so I'd say it depends on what you intend to use it for. I have a mat of similar material to this one that I use for getups, and it's fine, but I wouldn't be dropping my deadlifts onto it.

10 mm of rubber can be enough. I use something similar here, 1/2" thick, and it handles my deadlifts - which go up to about 350 lbs. - just fine.

This says 12 mm, not 10.

This really all depends on what you want to do. For me, getups on the heavier rubber mats aren't much better on my old knees and elbows than doing them on a hardwood floor, so I prefer the EVA for that.

-S-
I am planning to have my gym upstairs and my main concern is protecting the floor from kettlebells falling on it. I am planning to do getups and I know my knees won't be able to take it on hard surfaces. I am thinking a heavier mat and kneepads would be my best bet in this situation?

If you're trying to protect the floor, definitely the 10 or 12 mm rubber mat will do that better.

As to your knees, I recommend my personal choice, mentioned above - you can buy the EVA material in interlocking squares. Cover the full area you need to protect with rubber mat, then get as much EVA mat as you need and you can easily take that up when you're not using it.

Enjoy.

-S-

If you're trying to protect the floor, definitely the 10 or 12 mm rubber mat will do that better.

As to your knees, I recommend my personal choice, mentioned above - you can buy the EVA material in interlocking squares. Cover the full area you need to protect with rubber mat, then get as much EVA mat as you need and you can easily take that up when you're not using it.

Enjoy.

-S-
Hi

I bought the 6x4 EVA mat which arrived recently. Although it is indeed "lightweight", it is much harder than the interlocking ones (which I tried at my friend's house), eg probably not suitable for sitting cross-legged for long periods of time.

Is this still unsuitable for dropping 16kg/24kg kettlebells on upstairs? Should I return and replace it with a heavy duty mat instead (as in the other links)? I like the EVA one because of it being 24mm as opposed to 10 or 12 like the others. It is very light though - but hard.

Hi

I bought the 6x4 EVA mat which arrived recently. Although it is indeed "lightweight", it is much harder than the interlocking ones (which I tried at my friend's house), eg probably not suitable for sitting cross-legged for long periods of time.

Is this still unsuitable for dropping 16kg/24kg kettlebells on upstairs?

I don’t know.

-S-

I use sheets of plastazote which to my knowledge is very similar to EVA (both closed cell foams) so if Iout of the 3 I would pick EVA.

I use sheets of plastazote which to my knowledge is very similar to EVA (both closed cell foams) so if Iout of the 3 I would pick EVA.
Whoops fat fingers and can't see how to edit, sorry. Anyway yeah out of the 3 EVA would be my choice, If you're finding it not thick enough go take a look at the plastazote I mentioned as you can get that up to 50mm.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom