Whiskey Lovers

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by TravisS, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

Glenmorangie, a 10 y.o. single malt was on sale last weekend, $10 off, so, my son & I tucked into it. Good drink, smooth, and it has a slightly sweet finish. I may just buy this again.

TravisS and Glen like this.
  2. TravisS

TravisS Helping Make Others Stronger

My quick strength and whiskey story…

My neighbor(single woman) asked me to help her unload a whiskey barrel she bought on vacation for a display piece… she said that she would go ask the other neighbor guy as well as the barrel weighed 130lbs… I told her I could handle it…. I unloaded her barrel with ease despite it being “heavy”, large, and awkward. As I set it down in her garage I noticed a sloshing noise like it had some liquid in it… not just a trace amount… like maybe a gallon. I told her how I was into whiskey and asked if I could dump it and see what the liquid looked like and if it was actually whiskey, water, or what. The stuff that came out was BLACK.... you would rather drink river water than what came out...

After filtering it through 60 coffee filters(they kept plugging up)…. I’m happy to say I now have 3 bottles of barrel proof Jack Daniels. My buddy distills his own stuff so I had him test the alcohol content and it clocked in at 129.7 proof!! I’m not a huge JD fan but this stuff is amazing!!

A few pics in this album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/PuPtbNQEP5Wo9H7Z7

3. TravisS

Had a couple more new ones last night(Irish). The Dubliner Bourbon Cask finished. Its non age stated but a minimum of 3 yr old. About $30 cost. It was pretty tasty with notes of honey and nuts. The second was Tullamore Dew 12 yr old. Aged in ex bourbon cask and Sherry barrels. Had notes of baking spice, red fruits, nuttiness, and a sweetness similar to honey but not quite sure. I think that one was around $45.

Marc likes this.
  4. Franz Snideman

Franz Snideman First Timer

I too am a big fan of exploring whiskeys. I lean towards Scotch Whiskeys. Not a big fan of Peaty Scotches but I do own Lagavulin and Laphroaig. It's such a fun endeavor to try new Whiskeys and explore your palate.

I prefer slightly sweeter but full bodied Whiskeys.

Glennfidich 14 is my favorite. In fact I love almost all GlennFidich, especially the CASK collections you get in the Duty Free Stores.

5. TravisS

I've only ever had glenfiddich 12. It was pretty good. Have not explored any others from that distillery. I enjoy all the glenmorangie line that I've had though.

For not liking peat, lagavulin and laphroaig are heavy hitters in that category!

Michael Scott and offwidth like this.
  6. Murrey3

Murrey3 Double-Digit Post Count

Anyone like here 'Vodka or Black' for night drinks?

7. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

Had a chance to try some Bain's (South Africa) last weekend, pretty good stuff, smooth.

TravisS likes this.
  8. Glen

Glen Strong Member of the Forum

Managed to pick this up for £12.99 (about 17 dollars) - hopefully it's nice so I don't have to keep touching the blue label! IMG_20180914_115857.jpg

9. TravisS

Its decent stuff.... for $17, I would say its worth it. If you like JW Blue, have you tried Talisker or Highland Park?

10. Glen

Glen Strong Member of the Forum

Blue label felt wasn't all that for the money but at that price don't want to plough through it!!!

Like talisker not had highland park. Like glenmorangie and quite like this one which was recommended to me

Stronachie 10 Year Old 70cl - Majestic Wine

11. Marc

Marc Strong Member of the Forum

Glenfiddich 12 is one of those fine spirits with which you cannot be wrong.

Michael Scott and TravisS like this.
  12. masa

masa Strong, Powerful, Explosively Athletic Member of the Forum

Having The Ardmore Legacy at the moment. It's ligtly peated and young, but I like it.
    image.jpeg

TravisS, Glen and offwidth like this.
  13. frederickk

frederickk Double-Digit Post Count

Whiskey is Irish. My favorite type of whiskey.
    Brands I like:
    Tullamore Dew
    Bushmills
    The Wild Geese
    Powers
    I drink whiskey neat, no ice or water. If you want to enhance the flavor add three drops of water.

Marc and TravisS like this.
  14. Marc

Speaking of Irish Whyskey:
    Redbreast 12 y/o is one fine spirit. I can't recommend it enough.

TravisS and StrongestXen like this.
  15. TravisS

If you haven't tried the RB 12 cask strength version..... you need to... its miles ahead of the normal 12 yr in my opinion.

16. Marc

Yes, I already tried it in a pub and you are right!
    The 40% was a present by my brother and is a fine spirit, too.