all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Whiskey Lovers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I dig islay whiskies as well... I have so many open bottles I try to only keep 1 peated scotch open at a time since it takes me so long to drink them. My current open islay is Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength!!!
If you like Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 yr, try Ardbeg Uigeadail. IMO, best of both worlds!
Thanks for the tip. Have to try Uigeadail. I've had a bottle of Laphroaig 10 yo Cask Strength once and I liked it. I have open bottles of different kinds of whiskies as well. Four Roses Bourbon Small Batch is one of them. It's getting cold here in Finland, so I may finish it next spring. I like to savor bourbon in the summer time. Now I'm focusing more warming stuff like ones from Islay.

Last edited:
My go-to is an Aberlour 12 year. On the cheaper-ish level comparatively to others and I love the smoothness of it

My go-to is an Aberlour 12 year. On the cheaper-ish level comparatively to others and I love the smoothness of it
If you can find the Aberlour Abunad'h, its worth it... cask strength... currently my favorite sherried scotch.

It's been years since I had Abunad'h, but like @TravisS said, it's worth every penny. Glendronach has a good sherried malts also. The Macallan starts to be out of my price range nowadays. But in the nineties it was the ultimate sherried malt for me.

It's been years since I had Abunad'h, but like @TravisS said, it's worth every penny. Glendronach has a good sherried malts also. The Macallan starts to be out of my price range nowadays. But in the nineties it was the ultimate sherried malt for me.
I purchased a bottle of Glendronach Cask Strength and was slightly disappointed in it. I definitely like the Abunad'h better and it seems to be more readily available where I am.

I purchased a bottle of Glendronach Cask Strength and was slightly disappointed in it. I definitely like the Abunad'h better and it seems to be more readily available where I am.
In my youth old bottlings of Glendronach were great. I had 15 yo bottle that I spared for a decade before I was willing to open it. They were much darker in color back then and nowadays Glendronach offers more younger bottlings. I haven't tried recent ones. Good that you have easy access to Abunad'h. Last time I saw Abunad'h was in a tax free market on a cruise boat. I have had two different batches of Abunad'h in the past.

I REALLY want to try the Glendronach 15 yr revival but it has been discontinued and pretty much impossible to find. Supposed to be one of the best sherry bombs out there... I settled for the cask strength...

There’s an elusive travel retail 10 yo Macallan 100% sherry cask, 1l. bottle, that can be found now and then in shops, at a reasonable price. It’s very much like the A’bunadh, just a bit better!

upload_2016-11-10_19-17-16.png

I REALLY want to try the Glendronach 15 yr revival but it has been discontinued and pretty much impossible to find. Supposed to be one of the best sherry bombs out there... I settled for the cask strength...
I hope I'd spared it longer, then I'd had a chance to share it with you:). If my memory serves, it was goooooood. I have a picture of the bottle somewhere.

@StrongestXen; next time when I travel I might pick up one of those Macallan's for the old times sake. And yes, in my standards all the Balvenie bottlings are beyond average. No bad products from that pagoda.

I keep Jameson in the house for scotch & water, & I have 2 18 y.o. single malts, Glenfiddich & Glenlivet that are sipped on from time to time. The one I have found that I enjoyed the most was a 12 y.o. Macallan or Glenlivet aged in a port wine cask........

I keep Jameson in the house for scotch & water, & I have 2 18 y.o. single malts, Glenfiddich & Glenlivet that are sipped on from time to time. The one I have found that I enjoyed the most was a 12 y.o. Macallan or Glenlivet aged in a port wine cask........

Mentioning The Glenlivet... I must point to their Nàdurra range, the best they've done (within a reasonable price) and now for peat lovers too. https://www.theglenlivet.com/tag/nadurra/

If you haven't tried it, pick up a bottle, you won't be disappointed!

Well if you have sampled over a hundred whiskies under a year, you have tasted them all next year:). That's a respectable pace.
I guarantee the pace will not be sustained... my neighbor got me into whiskey as he is a huge lover of the brown water and probably 30-40 of the whiskies I've had were his. I've purchased my fair share of bottles, had a few at the local whiskey bar, had a few tastings with friends and also started a whiskey club where we sample 2 different whiskies per month...

My wife and I are big whiskey fans. I'm a Scotch guy, she's a Bourbon girl. We don't have a lot of money to throw around, so we take pleasure in the mid-tier stills.

For our first date we sat in the living room watching Dwayne Johnson as Hercules, eating BBQ chicken pizza with ghost pepper hot sauce, and drinking Eagle Rare Whiskey. That's how I knew she was cool.

For our honeymoon, we partook in a bottle of Basil Hayden.

For a birthday present, I got The Balvinie 14 year Caribbean Cask. That was crazy good! Balvinie was the first Scotch I've tried and still remains my favorite.

Our casual go-to's are still Basil Hayden and Eagle Rare. Although recently we discovered we like Woodford Reserve. We found a bottle of a 1792 at a heavy discount, and are currently enjoying that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom