all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Whiskey Lovers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Respect. I'm so jealous.

Wasn't too hard... find some friends that want to pitch in to buy a bottle once a month and start doing it in someone's basement or whatever... My club has been going since march and has about a dozen members. We each pitch in $100 for the year and we decide as a collective what bottles to try... as more people join the more expensive whiskies we can try... we are slowly gaining momentum. We meet once a month for a couple hours and have some fun tasting and comparing tasting notes and whatnot.

My wife and I are big whiskey fans. I'm a Scotch guy, she's a Bourbon girl. We don't have a lot of money to throw around, so we take pleasure in the mid-tier stills.

For our first date we sat in the living room watching Dwayne Johnson as Hercules, eating BBQ chicken pizza with ghost pepper hot sauce, and drinking Eagle Rare Whiskey. That's how I knew she was cool.

For our honeymoon, we partook in a bottle of Basil Hayden.

For a birthday present, I got The Balvinie 14 year Caribbean Cask. That was crazy good! Balvinie was the first Scotch I've tried and still remains my favorite.

Our casual go-to's are still Basil Hayden and Eagle Rare. Although recently we discovered we like Woodford Reserve. We found a bottle of a 1792 at a heavy discount, and are currently enjoying that.
All awesome choices! Keep tasting and enjoying! If you like the Balvenie line-up, don't be afraid to try Glenmorangie!

I had a good one this past weekend; Hooker's House Bourbon. It's aged for 7 years in oak barrels in Kentucky, then shipped out to California to age for another 9 months in Pinot Noir barrels. Yum!

I knocked down a dram of Jura Prophecy on last Sunday. It was smokier than I expected. I just opened that bottle, so I can't say anything else. I'll have to savor it more first. But a decent dram anyway.

I really like a local distillery with is 40 Creek Copper Pot Reserve and their Honey is amazing as well.

I don't really understand vodka. It doesn't have a lot of flavor. For me, it's about enjoying the flavor of something.

That's two mighty fine beverages there!
Always liked Jameson. SIL gave us a bottle of Lafroaig for Christmas. Now and then I find a whisky that I especially like, but the Lafroaig was beyond that. It was like a revelation. Made me stop and smell the peat, as it were...
You should try the Laphroaig Triple Wood, or Lore if you want a revelation...

For my everyday whiskey, not that i drink everyday Even Williams Black.
Scotch: Ardmore (its more mellow and complex than Laphroig and I feel it makes a better evening tipple)
Irish: Tullamore dew
Rye: Bulleit (good for an old fashioned)
Burbon: I tend to not have a favorite and just go for something local (Colorado)

I had a good one this past weekend; Hooker's House Bourbon. It's aged for 7 years in oak barrels in Kentucky, then shipped out to California to age for another 9 months in Pinot Noir barrels. Yum!
A good friend of mine is from Kentucky. We compared Hookers house and Four Roses, I think hands down, Four Roses was smoother and had better flavor, and I'm not one for bourbon. He agreed with me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom