all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Whiskey Lovers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just saw this thread and wanted to put my 2 cents in. Over the past few years I have fell in love with whiskey, definitely is an aquired taste at first but has recently turned into a hobby. My wife actually just got me an advent calender for christmas and I wanted to throw the link up here. A good excuse to try 31 new types of whiskey. They sell a bunch of different types of sample packs as well.

well. The Whisky Advent Calendar (2016 Edition) Whisky - Master of Malt

Check it out, the samples are small only 3cl. But worth the experience.

This last weekend at my brother's stag do, we had a tasting from the Scothish Whiskey Association.
They don't do single malt, they do single cask whiskey. It was incredible seeing the range or what was on offer and the variety that was available. Amazing stuff. I'm not sure I'll ever want to drink anything blended ever again.

Procured a few new bottles recently.

Henry McKenna 10 yr old Bottled in Bond
Willett Family Estate 3 yr Rye
Glenfarclas 10 yr

I'm not normally a big rye fan but after having a sample of the Willett I just had to have one. Immediate nose for me was hot chocolate. Sweet arrival with notes of vanilla and chocolate and a baking spice, rye spice finish... just excellent!

I've always been intrigued by Glenfarclas but have never seen any around me until a couple weeks ago. I ran across this 10 yr old bottling for $42. Its a very nice, grainy sweet malt. If you've ever had Dalwhinnie 15 yr old, it is very similar.

@TravisS those you mentioned are good stuff. Have you tried any Springbank, Glenrothes or Cragganmore bottlings? They're good too.

Last edited:
@TravisS those you mentioned are good stuff. Have you tried any Springbank, Glen Rothes or Cragganmore bottlings? They're good too.

I have had springbank 10 which is A+ in my book. Problem is we don't have any of it in my area and typically have to get it out of state. I have not had any of the others.

Okay, somebody school me please. I recently opened a bottle of Laphroig on recommendation from a friend. He said a lumber jack looking, fire loving guy like me should be drinking it. I concur. Now I can't get enough of the smoky peat, and was wondering if there was anything smokier and peatier out there, and what names I should be looking for.

Paul

@Troglodyte start with Lagavulin, Caol Ila and Ardbeg distilleries. And anything that comes from Islay in general. That's the mecca of peat and tar.

Laphroaig is hard to beat thou.

And welcome to the forum Paul.

Last edited:
Masa,

Thanks for the help. With the cold weather coming this weekend in Virginia, it'll be a great time for a fire and whiskey!

Paul

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom