all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Whiskey Lovers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I was fortunate enough to end up at the University of Kentucky, which put me in the middle of bourbon country. Makers Mark and Jim Beam are pretty good on the rocks.

Cool thread. Perhaps this will come across as heresy to whiskey purists and I risk being banished from this thread, but lately I've developed a real taste for apple-flavored whiskey. However, as a result I have come to appreciate regular whiskeys so there was a "carryover." I used to not like whiskey at all. For unflavored whiskey I like Makers Mark. For apple whiskey:

Jim Beam Apple: It is sweet but I like it. Based on the reviews I've read people either love it or hate it. I've read reviews comparing it to a green Jolly Rancher (not entirely wrong as the apples used for flavoring are green apples) and other reviews comparing it to cough syrup. I get it - flavored whiskeys are not for everyone and for those who cannot stand any sweetness in their alcohol I recommend avoiding flavored whiskeys altogether. Jim Beam Apple is my favorite.
Bird Dog Apple: Not too sweet with a hint of flavor so you still taste plenty of whiskey.
Serpent's Bite: Inexpensive but good. More of the apple flavor and sweetness than Bird Dog but not as much as Jim Beam.

Cool thread. Perhaps this will come across as heresy to whiskey purists and I risk being banished from this thread, but lately I've developed a real taste for apple-flavored whiskey. However, as a result I have come to appreciate regular whiskeys so there was a "carryover." I used to not like whiskey at all. For unflavored whiskey I like Makers Mark. For apple whiskey:

Jim Beam Apple: It is sweet but I like it. Based on the reviews I've read people either love it or hate it. I've read reviews comparing it to a green Jolly Rancher (not entirely wrong as the apples used for flavoring are green apples) and other reviews comparing it to cough syrup. I get it - flavored whiskeys are not for everyone and for those who cannot stand any sweetness in their alcohol I recommend avoiding flavored whiskeys altogether. Jim Beam Apple is my favorite.
Bird Dog Apple: Not too sweet with a hint of flavor so you still taste plenty of whiskey.
Serpent's Bite: Inexpensive but good. More of the apple flavor and sweetness than Bird Dog but not as much as Jim Beam.

Off with his head... infidel. :)

Scotch, love it. Highland Park, Balvenie, Lagavullien . I'll drink the blends as well. Go to is simple JW Black

If I'm drinking straight, Stranahan's is near the top of my list. They are a local variety, and they do good stuff.

3 parts Bulleit rye + 1 part orange curacao + your bitters of choice = delicious

If I'm drinking straight, Stranahan's is near the top of my list. They are a local variety, and they do good stuff.

Stranahan's is one of my favorites, too!

I have been learning a lot about whiskey these past 4 or 5 months. My husband and I both enjoy it and we had some fun stocking a wooden liquor cabinet that I got from my dad after Christmas. This thread was very helpful in that endeavor. :)

Last weekend I had the immense honor of attending a private whiskey tasting with Mark Rippetoe and Matt Reynolds from Starting Strength. I attended the SS event "StrengthCon" in Wichita Falls and was one of the 25 lucky ones picked for the whiskey tasting. They shared some of their best stuff with us and taught us about the different types, how it's made, how to taste it, watering it, etc. It was really awesome. Here are the ones that we tasted: Bourbons: Eagle Rare, Old Grand Dad 114, Willer Antique 107, Elijah Craig Barrel-Proof, Rhetoric 22; Rye Whiskeys: Willet 3 year Family Reserve Rye, Midwinter Night's Dram; Scotch: Macallan 12 year scotch, Talisker 10 year Scotch, Yamakazi 12, and Lagavulin 16. My favorites were the Weller Anituqe 107, Willet, Elijah Craig (got some of that yesterday!), and Macallan.

The two evenings at the event we had a "BYOB" at the Forum where the event was being held. Bring your bottle to the bartender and they will serve you out of it. I bought Stranahans, asked Rip what he thought about it, and he actually said it was good! Good enough that he was going to get some for himself.

Apparently whiskey and barbells are a good combination...

3 parts Bulleit rye + 1 part orange curacao + your bitters of choice = delicious

That sounds good!

Speaking of flavored spirits, the most unusual that I've seen is smoked salmon flavored vodka. Real thing. I have a feeling that this would either taste great or be the most disgusting thing in the world. I see no middle ground.

I've tried something like this with aged rum + triple sec + orange and xocolatl bitters and it was very good.

I couldn't find a matching recipe anywhere so I've been trying to find a name for it.

Ok so finally did it, sold the damn narrow boat that's been plaguing my life and started a new career so thought there's no better reason to crack open the bottle of Johnny walker Blue label.

Cork had deteriorated and snapped off in the bottle so needed to get it out with a corkscrew!

Was alright, quite smooth but a bit underwhelming. To be honest think I preferred some of the single malts I've had which cost a quarter of the priceIMG_20180506_202131_1.jpg

Glen, I agree, the bottle is a big bunch of hype. Go get an 18 year old single malt, or save up and the the Balvenie 21

Last Friday, I was in the liquor store, just to pick up a blend. Dewar's or what have you and I cam across Sheep Dip, for $39 in 750 ML. Figured, might as well try it.

It's awesome. One of the best blends I've ever had. It was smooth, or as the snobs say, full of elegance and finesse. HAHA

I'm not sure even if I had money I would buy one... There are thousands of phenomenal whiskies under $500.

Glen, I agree, the bottle is a big bunch of hype. Go get an 18 year old single malt, or save up and the the Balvenie 21

Last Friday, I was in the liquor store, just to pick up a blend. Dewar's or what have you and I cam across Sheep Dip, for $39 in 750 ML. Figured, might as well try it.

It's awesome. One of the best blends I've ever had. It was smooth, or as the snobs say, full of elegance and finesse. HAHA

Before I had kids I drank Lagavulin and Oban, after kids, Dewars is fine. To be honest its was fine before I had kids too - like anything else you get what you pay for up to a point and then you stat paying for a lifestyle. That said Oban is beautiful and since I've paid my cards down I might treat myself this week...but not every week by any means.

Nice to hear Sheepdip is not a regret, I'll give it a try .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom