all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Who is currently doing Naked Warrior and what do you think?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Since I read NW and these exercises, I think I'll never give them up. In terms of minimalistic training, I never found better.

I incorporated them in all my mobility and strength routines.

In terms of press, Pavel says that it can be considered to go for weekly block: OAP, HSPU (as far as bodyweight only is considered)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: Ege
I see. You're referring to the rotational challenge. That is missing, I agree. And there's no need to have the hand so extended out. Other than that, the grooves are pretty similar for there to be carry-over just fine. Some people supplement this training with some OAOL Planks, but it's not necessary.

In weight training, as you get stronger, you simply add weight to the exact same groove and get stronger. However, in calisthenics, it's very common to go through a variety of different progressions, some of which can be rather different in grooves a lot of times!

In general, working up to unilateral exercises through limb assist works just fine. Even at the very advanced levels (One-arm Chin-up), there are some who will craft pulleys to assist with a weight... the rest (and vast) majority of us simply use the unloaded arm for some help, and minimize that as time goes on. Doesn't train the rotational part as exactly but that's OK.

Yes, that is exctly right. The different progressions do not always mimic the necessary groove. This is why I always prefer to practice tge real moves even if it is only for one rep. I just do multiple sets then. Doing a OAPU on the floor is pretty different from doing it onto an elevation and for me it seems to be better to do the real moves (my current best is 6x3 on OAPU and pistols. Working towards 5x5 and then progress to OAOLPU).

Another thing I have noticed: play around with variations!
For OAPU: OAOLPU negatives only, dead stop OAPU, OAPU on fist, OAPU on fist with dead stop (this is a real beast).

For pistol: hold the lowest position for several seconds, do pistols standing on a book or some elevation with the toes reaching over the edge (this forces you to press through the heels and stay pretty upright)

Hello,

Pistols on a thin plank is quite good for balance. Plus it remains more realistic than doing it on a ball for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm solidly doing sets of 5 one arm pushups. When I get real good at this I'll start onto the one arm one leg pushups. I think the balance element makes it more athletic than with two legs, like how I think the TGU because of its balance elements gives training in balance over and beyond mere strength. Balance is important. Pistols are good for balance too. Balance frankly matters in life.

I seem to have trouble practicing the OAPU at an elevated position...my feet tend to slip, and also I can't get into a good wrist position to really pack the shoulder. Any tips on how people managed this would be good to know!
Barefoot on deadlift mats. I use socks on deadlift mats and it's still a solid enough footing for me.

I use an apple box - go to bhphoto.com and search on "apple box" and you'll see them. It's wood, and my hand doesn't slip on it. This one

Matthews Full Mini Apple Box 259531 B&H Photo Video

Matthews_259531_Full_Mini_Apple_Box_1315322037000_99405.jpg

Gives me 12", 10", and 8" to play with.

I put the back of it up against a bench so it doesn't slide - not sure how necessary that is.

-S-

Reactions: Ege
Hello,

I'm solidly doing sets of 5 one arm pushups. When I get real good at this I'll start onto the one arm one leg pushups. I think the balance element makes it more athletic than with two legs, like how I think the TGU because of its balance elements gives training in balance over and beyond mere strength. Balance is important. Pistols are good for balance too. Balance frankly matters in life.
+1 !

I think that these simple moves are doable during a lifetime. With daily practice, you can do them until 80 years old I guess.

OAOL PU oblige to strongly work on anti-twist and full tension. This is interesting to notice that they also require solid leg to avoid bending. This move ties everything up. A proper OAOL PU will make you practice the "breathing beyond the shield" to maintain both balance and tension. This move is really an "investment". It transfers very well to almost everything else.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, but the detractor from the NW programme is that it has no daily cardio component that one can do by oneself in one's own home. Being on only NW for over a week I started to feel short of breath and a bit sick from not getting enough cardio. One session of S&S this morning set me back on track feeling GREAT again.

Hello,

@Kozushi
For a long while, I ran OAOL PU + Pistol as strength training. I added 100 daily 1H swings as mentioned in the book. It worked pretty well :) Nonetheless, I think your strategy may be the best one because you recover fast and you get both stronger with new skills !

Kind regards,

Pet'

IMG_0120.JPG
Yes, but the detractor from the NW programme is that it has no daily cardio component that one can do by oneself in one's own home. Being on only NW for over a week I started to feel short of breath and a bit sick from not getting enough cardio. One session of S&S this morning set me back on track feeling GREAT again.
If you want cardio... take a box like @Steve Freides just posted and do step-ups. Slow and steady for a MAF style session or fast or loaded for something more aggressive.

As part of my physical therapy for my knee replacement I have been doing random rapid steps back and forth on my toes. It looks like a very bad version of Riverdance. I do three one minute rounds with one minute active rest between rounds. It is good cardio.

Aren't forward pushes better for muscular development than overhead ones? I'd rather do the classic 1APU/1A1LPU where I press straight forward like bench press than do it on an incline.

Aren't forward pushes better for muscular development than overhead ones?
Some this depends on what muscles you wish to develop but, yes, I think you're right, if one had to pick between the two. Of course, the weight used, one's style (e.g., do you drive with your legs on the bench press) will make a difference, too.

-S-

Hello,

@Kozushi
In everyday life, I guess push ups and rows (to get the antagonist work and avoid muscular imbalance and guarantee a proper joint maintenance) are more "natural" than ovh practice.

Doing some ovh is not bad in itself. It can make sense for some moves such as getting over a wall.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some this depends on what muscles you wish to develop but, yes, I think you're right, if one had to pick between the two. Of course, the weight used, one's style (e.g., do you drive with your legs on the bench press) will make a difference, too.

-S-
Yes, and I think they activate quite different strength systems, and actually I'd call the overhead press much more "realistic" since it's about actually picking something up whereas pushing forward isn't useful for anything. However, I guess because pushing forward is almost useless in real life it requires a lot of weird muscle systems - our bodies aren't really made to push straight forward, and this is where our intelligent brains can take advantage of our "dumb" bodies and get a better workout because of putting our bodies through more awkward motions than they're really made for.

Cardio with no equipment: hill sprints get my vote. Assuming there are hills in Canada :)
Yeah, what a huge amount of land there is in North America, eh? Unused wilderness - which I have no problem with at all!
I find even just getting a good walk in helps me feel a lot better, like 60-75 minutes or so of not forced but still fairly brisk walking. If I'm doing S&S I don't need it, but if I'm not, I need it.

Hello,

@Kozushi
In everyday life, I guess push ups and rows (to get the antagonist work and avoid muscular imbalance and guarantee a proper joint maintenance) are more "natural" than ovh practice.

Doing some ovh is not bad in itself. It can make sense for some moves such as getting over a wall.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Actually, I think pushups are very unnatural, which is why they're a great strength building tool.

Yes, and I think they activate quite different strength systems, and actually I'd call the overhead press much more "realistic" since it's about actually picking something up whereas pushing forward isn't useful for anything. However, I guess because pushing forward is almost useless in real life it requires a lot of weird muscle systems - our bodies aren't really made to push straight forward, and this is where our intelligent brains can take advantage of our "dumb" bodies and get a better workout because of putting our bodies through more awkward motions than they're really made for.
Actually, I think pushups are very unnatural, which is why they're a great strength building tool.
I almost bought this entire argument until I realized the Squat is about the most basic and natural movement pattern of mankind... And happens to be the biggest muscle builder as well when loaded!

Nothing to do with natural vs unnatural. Instead, think about what muscles these movements train. Horizontal pressing hits the chest while vertical pressing hits the shoulders. Which one do you think will look more noticeably from similar training? The chest is already a bigger muscle in general.

May this be why the Squat builds so much leg (since it hits virtually every leg muscle, hard)? May this be why the Pullup beats the Row in terms of hypertrophy (the lats are the biggest muscles in the body)? I say "yes"

I almost bought this entire argument until I realized the Squat is about the most basic and natural movement pattern of mankind... And happens to be the biggest muscle builder as well when loaded!

Nothing to do with natural vs unnatural. Instead, think about what muscles these movements train. Horizontal pressing hits the chest while vertical pressing hits the shoulders. Which one do you think will look more noticeably from similar training? The chest is already a bigger muscle in general.

May this be why the Squat builds so much leg (since it hits virtually every leg muscle, hard)? May this be why the Pullup beats the Row in terms of hypertrophy (the lats are the biggest muscles in the body)? I say "yes"
Okay but where in life do you push on anything? Lifting, including squatting to lift things, yes, but just simply pushing something in front of you? Pretty much never, unless you're 6 years old and you have a little sister.

The pecs are probably not there for really "pushing" on things but rather for manipulating tools and for stabilizing other things. Human physiology is weird. Maybe the pecs are leftovers of being apes, in which case pushups resemble walking on all fours.

I don't agree that the squat is a "natural" movement. It's a pretty hard movement that most people avoid like the plague. Walking, running and jumping are pretty natural but squatting up and down is a big chore. Sure, sitting in a "squatting" position is kind of normal, but going up and down from there, NO! Not normal! You're putting your body through stress it doesn't want, which is why it has to balloon up in size to handle it. In Korea where most people still sit on the floor you don't see see squatting up and down as a normal part of life. What they do is more like the getup move than the squat, and not over and over again - just once to sit down and once to get up an hour later.

:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom