all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Who is currently doing Naked Warrior and what do you think?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Of course, everything depends on the goal one has. Nonetheless, when I practice, I always get some inspiration from Nature.

Do baby use the moves I do ? Do some animals use the moves I do ? Did Ancient folks (including cavemen) do the moves I do ? etc...

If the answer is no, then, is the move only "nice to have" ? or can it have a carryover on my health - meaning a good benefit / risk ratio ? If so, I can keep it because it will serve me well and will maybe make me "above the average guy". If not (so it is only "nice to have), I skip it. Beyond strength / balance / mobility / flexibility / endurance / power, sustainability and realism is important. For instance, is it useful for me to do a 1H free handstand or even a 1H free HS PU...

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have a small child myself and it's always a pleasure to see her move. Whether she's squatting, pushing something, picking something up, it's always with perfect technique! It's something innate to humans that we tend to forget as we age.

Even if the babies are incredibly flexible and mobile, one has to remember that their bones etc. haven't developed fully, which makes a lot of what they do easier than it is for adults. Also, just because a baby can, doesn't mean that an adult should.

Totally agree, and I would go as far to say that I am basically on the side of the fence that agrees with the statement that kids move "naturally". Much more common to pick something up that to repeatedly get up and down with a heavy load.

Something that I find very fascinating with this conversation is that many of the movements we as a group are qualifying as the best moves for hypertrophy are the squat and push, which are the same moves we say are atypical for humans to do. Funny that Dan John calls these moves (in addition to the pull, or pull up) as the "sex drive" moves. The "thrive" moves as he says - the loaded carry and the deadlift - seem more the "real life moves" that are hugely important for athletic performance, or even life performance, yet somehow don't deliver the same hypertrophy results.
They don't grant hypertrophy because our bodies are already build to handle them.

Hello,

Plus, hypertrophy has to be correlated to strength. To be bulked up is one thing, but being strong is another one.

Some folks such as Al Kavadlo are extremely skinny, but very lean and strong.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Plus, hypertrophy has to be correlated to strength. To be bulked up is one thing, but being strong is another one.

Some folks such as Al Kavadlo are extremely skinny, but very lean and strong.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I've fought terribly strong guys who had big muscles and terribly strong guys who had tiny muscles. It's like the tiny muscle guys had strong tendons and bones and compact muscles - just as strong as the big guys or even stronger but just more compact muscle tissue.

Hello,

From there, and for the same training, both physiques can have "advantages" and "drawbacks":
> tiny guys: mobile and endurant
> heavy guys : a lot of strength

Basically, they are almost "contrary".

To certain extent, I guess there is an "average" weight (related to heigt) which has a good balance between mobility and endurance and strength.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I guess when your job is training very weak, out of shape, sedentary people, you have to be careful about stuff like that. I'm in good shape so the behind the back position is best.

Yes, but the detractor from the NW programme is that it has no daily cardio component that one can do by oneself in one's own home. Being on only NW for over a week I started to feel short of breath and a bit sick from not getting enough cardio. One session of S&S this morning set me back on track feeling GREAT again.

Supplementing with S&S or one arm swings seems like a good idea.
I started to do NW 3-4×/week alternated with S&S 2-3×/week this week. I was kinda surprised to do 100 one arm swings with 48kg, meaning I did not lost any endurance after more than 2 monts without any cardio.

However, if you are looking for a pure BW conditioning that you can do anywhere without zero equipement nothing beats crawling. Crawling is great for strength and conditioning alike. If you do not have a lot of space, just crawl 2m forth and 2m back. Check out Aleks Salkin and Original Strength for more great information on crawling!

Hello,

However, if you are looking for a pure BW conditioning that you can do anywhere without zero equipement
The combination of hindu push ups and hindu squats works good as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I tested several versions:
> Sets of 10 - 15 done as a circuit (15 push ups - 15 squats (squats can be done with a light weight in each hands)). This option permits to reduce rest periods and maintains an "high" HR.
> One exercise after the other. This option requires to rest more often, not because of the cardio, but because of the burn in the muscles.

So to a certain extent, the first one use the "MAF" principle, whereas the 2nd one is more "strength endurance" oriented. The same, but different.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Actually OAPU and regular push ups are pretty different in their groove. That being said, a OAPU is not simply a regular pushup minus one arm. In a OAPU you rotate your shoulder towards the deck in the descent and then rotate it back as you come up. Doing lever pushups eliminates this crucial part. For me this is especially true since I am pretty tall with long arms (1.94m). However there are a lot of folks who get around great with that method. It simply does not work for me. One assisted version that works much better is placing your non working hand near to your tigh rather than straight out to your side. This keeps the rotational aspect. The nearer to your tigh, the more difficult the move becomes. You can even increase the difficulty by using only your fingertips on the assisting hand and then grafually use fewer fingers (i.e. 5 fingers, 3 fingers, ...)
Check out the OAPU part of the breacher strong dvd to see that in action.

I would have to disagree slightly here... The SFB testing OA or OAOL Pushup ... we do not want the shoulder to rotate and dip down. We want the shoulders to maintain mostly parallel to the deck and the shoulders and hips to ascend and decend at the same rate.

@Kozushi
As for your original questions about hand placement on elevation and feet slipping. Can you send me a video? or post it here?

If picking the proper elevation one should be able to place the full palm on the surface and press hard through the hands and feet. But in order to have full hand on surface you have to have the shoulder stacked over wrist.

I would have to disagree slightly here... The SFB testing OA or OAOL Pushup ... we do not want the shoulder to rotate and dip down. We want the shoulders to maintain mostly parallel to the deck and the shoulders and hips to ascend and decend at the same rate.

I agree with you! I did not express myself correctly. Of course the shoulder shoulds should remain parallel to the deck and packed in the sockets.

I rather meant that your whole bidy as a unit rotates slightly to the non working side i.e. if you press with your right hand, you slightly rotate to the left while lowering yourself. Also if you press with your right hand you transfer mire force through your left foot and vice versa.
In a regular pushup (and also in a lever pushup) you just lower yourself in a straight line.

@Kozushi
As for your original questions about hand placement on elevation and feet slipping. Can you send me a video? or post it here?

If picking the proper elevation one should be able to place the full palm on the surface and press hard through the hands and feet. But in order to have full hand on surface you have to have the shoulder stacked over wrist.
I don't remember asking those things, but I do have a video.

@Marc I believe the goal in Naked Warrior is to create enough tension in the body that the body doesn't rotate.

Yes, you are def right! But even Phil in the video moves ever so slightly towards the centre of gravity abd so dies Pavel in the NW dvd. For me personally it is a great mental clue to think about moving rigidly towards the centre of gravity.
But please note that I do not want to advocate an incorrect technique and I am sorry if I have done so.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom