all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Who is currently doing Naked Warrior and what do you think?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yes, you are def right! But even Phil in the video moves ever so slightly towards the centre of gravity abd so dies Pavel in the NW dvd. For me personally it is a great mental clue to think about moving rigidly towards the centre of gravity.
But please note that I do not want to advocate an incorrect technique and I am sorry if I have done so.
Reminds me a lot of the TGU. It's a move that keeps your body under extreme pressure for a good chunk of time. It's the consternation and tension that trigger the strength gains.

But even Phil in the video moves ever so slightly towards the centre of gravity abd so dies Pavel in the NW dvd. For me personally it is a great mental clue to think about moving rigidly towards the centre of gravity.
But please note that I do not want to advocate an incorrect technique and I am sorry if I have done so.

You are right in that TNW OAPU (which is done with feet wider than shoulder width) is done with what some call a "side lean" (almost snake-like) at SF. This is the standard of SF, that's how Pavel shows it, etc.

However, I will mention that it is possible to do a TNW OAPU (once again, feet slightly wider than shoulder width) without a side lean. Provided you are strong enough of course. It requires the elbow to be totally glued to your side, and essentially all the weight on the working leg. If you do that, it's possible to balance the unloaded upper body by the unloaded lower body side and have little to no lean. As such:

This is something you can only get away with TNW variation. Those who strive for shoulder width, or even feet-touching variations, the side lean is simply impossible to eliminate. Here's an attempt with feet shoulder width... even though I try to eliminate the lean, it is there:

Regardless of the variation, I think it is a good idea to always strive to minimize that side lean. I think building up a TNW OAPU with no side lean is in particular a worthwhile goal. Even though not required by SF, it builds crazy abdominal strength.

Just my 2 cents.

Just to be clear for those working forward the OA or OAOL pushup for certification requirements....

Set up and pause at the top to show control
Lower under control until the elbow is higher than the shoulder
Pause at the bottom to show strength and control.
Shoulders should be mostly parallel or parallel to the deck
Hips and shoulders should ascend and descend at the same rate
(no worm like movement)
(no piking of the hips)
(no shrugging of the shoulders)

happy to assess videos of anyone training for the certification to make sure you are on the right training track :)
Hope to see you all at a course or cert some day.

I was thinking of attending the Toronto kettlebell Certification this spring, but the curriculum is quite different than S&S (I'm an S&S guy), which is just swings and getups, and of course I'm not a fitness instructor.

I think there is a kind of certification or exam that SF runs for S&S Sinister. Once there I will certainly look for my "black belt of S&S" certification with SF!

Strangely perhaps it's the bodyweight stuff that intrigues and mystifies me more. It's more timeless and much harder. I'm quite confident with my S&S kettlebelling, but there are secrets to warrior pushups and pistols, let alone bar hanging moves that could be very nice to know about!

I'd like to see others' one arm one leg ("warrior") pushups posted on this thread. :)

I was thinking of attending the Toronto kettlebell Certification this spring

Yes, do it! It is the perfect combination; your impressive learning and re-teaching ability combined with the greatest 3-day course you can imagine. There is so much to learn at SFG I and it is a lot of fun. I would look forward to your insights from the experience.

And only 7 human beings in the world have done it! So, if I join that group, I'll be part of a very select group.

A few others have done it than what are listed, and several of them are men. YouTube searches can find a few. But there's no requirement to submit and be listed. :)

So says the "Iron Maiden"....... @Anna C, that is you listed as one of those that has completed that challenge, right?

A few others have done it than what are listed, and several of them are men. YouTube searches can find a few. But there's no requirement to submit and be listed. :)

If it's humanly possible then I will do it and get proudly recognized by Strong First for it.

If there were some kind of one arm pushup or a chinup challenge I'd be up for that too. Those are techniques I understand well.

So says the "Iron Maiden"....... @Anna C, that is you listed as one of those that has completed that challenge, right?

Yes it is... although we may have to say "Sinister Maiden," since Iron Maiden is a different challenge and not one that I expect to pursue or meet (pistol, pull-up, and press w/ 24kg)... but power to those who do!

Just to be clear for those working forward the OA or OAOL pushup for certification requirements....

Set up and pause at the top to show control
Lower under control until the elbow is higher than the shoulder
Pause at the bottom to show strength and control.
Shoulders should be mostly parallel or parallel to the deck
Hips and shoulders should ascend and descend at the same rate
(no worm like movement)
(no piking of the hips)
(no shrugging of the shoulders)

happy to assess videos of anyone training for the certification to make sure you are on the right training track :)
Hope to see you all at a course or cert some day.

Hi Karen,

Could you assess my video of the OAOLPU ?

Thanks a lot !

Power to all

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom