all posts post new thread

Old Forum Who logs their workouts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve B.

Level 5 Valued Member
Just curious to see who keeps a workout log/journal.Ive been doing this for years and it's kind of a habit for me.Keeping sets,reps,weight,time,mood,any injuries,comments on the session went,PR's.I believe any one serious about their training should keep one.

How about you guys?

Steve:

I agree. I haven't always kept one, but when I didn't I always ended up overtrained or hurt. The trick for me is to keep the log simple and direct.

Jim

See my blog in the links below.

-S-
Steve Freides, StrongFirst Team Leader
http://www.kbnj.com
http://RideChickens.blogspot.com
http://StrongFirst.com

When I got serious about Strength I started to log every detail...and it has been so benificial. I highly recommend it and it is a must for those that I am coaching, either in my gym and especially those I do distance coaching with.

I started in 1971. I can show you my pride in getting an extra two reps with 85 pounds in the Incline Bench Press, the plan to win the Nationals, overcoming a severe concussion, rebuilding my body after a liver parasite, my wedding, the birth of my children, the marriage of my daughter, my first insights from meeting with Pavel and the gang, the death of both parents, figuring out where to go to college...

If you don't have one, fine. But, don't ask me twice about what you are doing wrong.

I started a blog that will be tracking my training going forward. I figure it would help to isolate inconsistencies, areas to specifically improve in.

I  personally log my workouts. My today work out show that I need to do more cleans. My weakest link in my long cycle jerk or press is my clean.  Once I am able to do 50 reps per arm with only one arm change with  12 kg  kb then I will move up 16 kg kb for the same goal. Logging your work out is a very good idea.

I've been logging my workouts for the last three years. It makes tracking progress easy and helps keep me focused on goals.

I've always logged my workouts, since 1977( wish I had all of them now) and have kept it online since 2004 in  the form of my blog

http://rifsblog.blogspot.com/

it's not exciting but it's a journal of every workout for the last 8+ years

I think it's  crucial and really make the difference between training and just working out.

further, i try to include in the journal anything that might affect the results of my training. illness, snowboarding, very long car rides, soccer games, sleep deprivation, relationship troubles...

Absolutely agree with everyone in this thread (maybe the first time that's ever happened in the history of the internet). It can't be overstated how important a training log is for uncovering the little details about physical performance that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

i have kept journals of my training off and on for the last four years.  for instance right now i have a detailed day by day log of my training for the last six months.  i don't feel it has helped me.  what am i doing wrong?

I keep a track of my workouts but I keep it simple. Date/exercise/sets/reps and goals all handwritten in a journal. This simple approach I learned from Paul Wade in his CC book. And this works great for me. No time is wasted on unnecerry details.

"i don't feel it has helped me."

elaborate? what makes you say this? are you not progressing towards your goals? if not, take a look at your log and see if you can identify potential problems. Consider submitting your log to this forum for some others to dissect (the upside to technology--you have access to some very knowledgeable folks on here that would likely be willing to help) If you are making consistent progress, awesome. Just look at your training log and relish in the satisfaction of getting stronger (or whatever sort of improvement you are after)

Hi Russell thanks for the response.  I feel I am making progress but I don't think my log has helped me to make even faster progress... Of course a lot of smart people on here are saying log is good so seems like I am missing something!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom