all posts post new thread

Old Forum Whole or upper body pushing movements that train the upper body pulling muscles

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

_was_strongfirst

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello, everyone.

A broken middle finger prevents me from doing any upper body pulling movements.  As such, which upper body pushing movements or whole-body movements also train the upper body pulling muscles?

Thank you.

Many have seen pullup progress by working the active negative of their kettlebell military press.

-S-

Any kind of hollow position work will help to some degree.

Personally if I had finger issues I would just use straps whenever necessary for a while, but others might disagree with that.

The bent press is a great whole/upper body lift that will definitely help your pulling strength.

Your lats will be worked hard in this, and the tension you have to maintain throughout the lift

will also greatly benefit you.

The Side Press from PTTP does also involve the Lat, as well as the old school strongman Bent Press. If you can do these with good technique they're probably the best options.

Only full body exercise I could think of would be the deadlift, but it's everything else but gentle on the grip, so probably not an option...

Steve, thank you, I will try that   Even simulating it now without any weight, I can feel my lats and biceps tensing.

Aris, thank you, but straps won't eliminate enough of the tension on my broken finger.

O.

Matt, thank you.  I'll consider that.

Miller, I'll consider both presses, but as you said, the deadlift is definitely out of the question for the time being.  Thank you.

O.

you can use weight upto 3 rm to the presses mentioned above and focus on the lats.

heavy zercher squats can help too.

If you can't grip hard, I wouldn't do bent presses, either, certainly not heavy ones.

I don't know if this would work for you, but you could look into Eagle Loops from IronMind - they let you use your choice of fingers and, if you're strong enough, you could do pullups with the fingers you still can use, even do some carries with them.

-S-

JediMind, thank you.  I'm going to start a high-volume squat cycle soon, so maybe in future I'll try Zercher squats.

Steve Mathews, thank you also.  Yes, now that I think about it, dips, much like the presses that Steve Freides suggested, could work.  It's all about irradiation.

Steve Freides, thanks for another tip.  You're right, I can't grip anything heavy.  But actually, I've tried pullups and can hold the bar with my four healthy fingers.

O.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom