all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why do ETK instead of Wendler 5/3/1?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
And you can still dead-lift and squat while doing ETK if you want, just follow the principles in PTTP and plug them in on your variety days.

Daniel,

now you are getting to what I had in mind when I started this thread!  I was trying to have a discussion about what the benefits were of the two different a programs.  I already had an idea about the basic programming of the two.

Thankyou!

Daniel,

When you say the barbells are harder on your joints, is that always the case? I was under the impression that heavy barbell work in the style of power to people would be good for your joints. It understandable that barbells can cause injury, but is this a result of over training and poor form, or is it inevitable when pulling hundreds of pounds off of the ground?

Its over training and poor form mostly. Also if you have poor FMS scores then there is more opportunity to get injured with barbells. Kettlebells will help fix poor movement patterns and imbalances.

And if you think about it logically pulling hundreds of pounds four days a week every week is going to take a toll on your body, as Steve Maxwell says all exercise saps your life force, so one should be careful where they put their energy into. If you are Ok with putting your energy in Barbells then you should do it. If there is a safer way to get to your goals then you should explore that too.

To sum up- Barbells- Strength and Muscle FAST.

Kettlebells- Strength and Muscle Slowly, but possibly more safely.

Also there is a limit to how strong one can get with Kettlebells, With barbells there is no limit set on how heavy the weight is.

In my training I found Kettlebells gave me less twinges than barbells, and that the large gaps between weights make me focus on tension and reps to gain strength rather than racing to add plates and inevitably injuring myself.

A few things:

5/3/1 with KB assistance is a great idea. Heavy swings are great assistance for deads. The PM is a good place to start

Any movement done poorly regardless of tool is an injury waiting to happen.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for 6 months.  I also do kettlebells.  On 5/3/1 De-load weeks, I do kettlebells

It looks like this

Monday Squats, Bench Press, Pullups 5/3/1

Tuesday Heavy Double 70 kettlebells Military Press and  Row ladders 5 ladders x 1,2,3

Deadlift alternated with Double swings.   5 sets of 10, One hand swings 88 lb bell

Thursday Double Kettlebell Floor Press, Rows 5 x 5.  Double Front Squats and Double Snatches.  5 x 5.  I used 70's except on the double snatch.  One arm Swings with the 88 as a finisher

Friday 5/3/1 Barbell Military Press, Deadlifts and pullups

So as you can see there is both 5/3/1 as well as some ETK influence.  In my opinion, kettlebells are way more fun.  But as a program, I like 5/3/1 more because of the squatting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom