all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why do ladders go up in reps?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Paul

Level 3 Valued Member
I've wondered this for a while. Why do ladders go up in reps (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), rather than down (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)?

Obviously, each rung gets harder because it has more reps. If they went down, they would get easier each time, and you'd still end up with the same number of reps. At least that makes sense in my head.

Full disclosure: I haven't really done ladders, since I'm just getting back into it after a long layoff. Previously, I did more of a 3x5 or 5x5 style workout. So, I have no argument to make.

Also I'm just getting started with the PM, so I probably won't be doing ladders for a while anyway. So, this is just a question out of curiosity.

Thanks,

Jason

they don't always count up. there are upsides to different ladder styles--counting up, down, semi-random (i think pavel has a term for this)...

give ladders a shot when you're after volume. they are hard not to like--conducive to high tonnage with relatively low emotional/psychological drain.

To restate Russell, I think the typical use of ascending ladders (1,2,3,4,5) is about the ability to increase volume and staying fresh.  It's also a great way to "earn" the next size bell and make the typical jumps in bell size for those who are financially challenged or don't have space for a whole room of bells. If the rungs went in reverse, you would probably start with a heavier bell and lose the lessons that are learned mastering the lighter one. However, I will sometimes throw in a descending ladder set(5,4,3,2,1) with no rest between rungs after my regular ladders if I want to do a finisher. I'll need a few more days between pressing sessions if I do that or have a back-off week planned already.

Jason C.,

Ladders are used to build high training volume without the usual problems of fatigue and degradation of form that typically occur near the end of a high-rep set.  They are purposefully "backwards" because a set of 5 reps is still low enough for  good form on every rep while incorporating, because it's the last rung of the ladder, some of the aspects of high-rep training.

The ladder is functionally the best of both worlds for someone with a goal of either moderately high reps in a strength movement, e.g., 20 dead-hang pullups, or someone looking to use high training volume to increase their one-rep max, e.g., the one-arm kettlebell military press.

-S-

I myself think that it is also for safety. If you are pressing and you are on a 1,2,3,4,5 and you are on the 5 ladder but by rep 3 you are losing it then it is time to stop. You get to stay with strict form that way.

There must be some neurological reason -- I'm just not the one to explain it.  Somehow the singles, doubles, and triples get you in practice for the harder sets.  Sort of like how you're often strongest on your third day of training instead of right after a rest day.

I asked the same on the DD forum a few years back and Pavel replied that 1-5 is somewhat better for strength and 5-1 is somewhat better for hypertrophy. Since strength is the goal, 1-5 is preferred.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom