all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Why do we have Finishers ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A "finisher" is generally something added on to a session to make it more physically demanding. "More demanding" is not what most people need. They typically need better technical execution of whatever lift(s) they are doing. As we fatigue, form tends to decrease thereby increasing risk of injury. Granted, there is no way to improve anything without risk, and this means every training session is a balancing act between risk of injury and increased performance (strength, power, etc). So if after a challenging deadlift session you move on to a challenging finisher, your risk to reward ratio has gotten out of balance (assuming your goal is improving your deadlift). In my early 40s I would "finish" a session with the 5:00/100 rep SFG snatch test. It was great for my mindset because I could keep that work capacity in the tank and be confident I could pass the test at any time. But there's no way it didn't detract from the specific goal of the program. And a specific goal is the hallmark of any good program.

I think if the athlete has specific goals and the program they're following is designed to deliver those goals then the need for a finisher is purely psychosomatic. Many people think going harder all the time is better. In my experience as an athlete and a coach, not only is this not the case, but going harder is often actually counterproductive - leading to injury, or general exhaustion often followed by getting sick.

In the end, it's your time and your body. But if your goal is increasing strength, or cardiovascular capacity, or hypertrophy, or GPP then focus on those things. Being completely exhausted after your training is not proof positive of a productive session.

Part of the problem isn't it?....not all finishers are created equal.

Like general term 'conditioning' it can mean many things. Same with 'cardio'.

The issue, if I can be general and vague too, is total stress.....@AnnaC covers that by factoring recovery ability and time available.

There is an interference effect and with no need to delve into complex biochemistry, that complexity is in itself an outcome of stress. Adaptation could be blunted, it could be maladaptive and cause harm or it might be a trigger to bolster adaptation.
To add a finisher then depends on what came before, how well or otherwise you recover, your goals and many other variables.

Strength and conditioning.
Absolutely, if the focus is on strength no need to beat yourself up with an exhaustive set of burpees at the end but for strength endurance, general fitness and the feeling of accomplishment it could be a positive thing.....depending on the frequency of training.
If intensity, volume and frequency are all factored, finishers may or may not be appropriate for a given population.
So you could do another finisher....ie an ab finisher or something.
Likewise if doing some tempo running add a lactate finisher for glycolytic capacity....ie an exhaustive 400m sprint.

Could be good, bad or indifferent. Without a context it is difficult to apply any definitive answer.

If following a programme and the author of it advises not to add finishers for qualified reasons then don't. That's definitive.
Likewise, if doing a programme which includes a finisher for qualified reasons, then do.

Maybe you like a programme and want to add or subtract a finisher for some reason, then justify it. If you can't, then leave it and choose another programme with or without the finisher.

I agree with the generality that most people need less than more but that's not an argument to exclude finishers either. Time and place and all that.

"More demanding" is not what most people need. They typically need better technical execution of whatever lift(s) they are doing. As we fatigue, form tends to decrease thereby increasing risk of injury.

More Demanding...Not What Most Need

John makes some good points.

"Finishers" are often performed by over zealous motiviated individual.

Many people think going harder all the time is better. In my experience as an athlete and a coach, not only is this not the case, but going harder is often actually counterproductive

More Balls Than Brains

I admire their mental drive of these individual. However, it come at the expense of not performing up to their full capacity.

As per John, it is counterproductive.

Techinque Training

To be redundent once more from previous post, Technique Training is optimized with Low Repetitition, with 80% plus of a 1 Repetition Max, with Long Enough Rest Period between Each Repetition so the Movement is performed fresh and correctly.

As John noted, once Muscle Fatigue sets in Techinique Deterteriorates.

Continuing In a Fatigued State ensure Poor Technique is learned and reinforced. Poor Technique also means it become a different exercise.

Thus, when Muscle Fatigue occurs in a Movement that you want to become proficient in, Stop.

Also, as John stated, the risk of injury increases.

Powerlifter's Delimma

One of the issues with many Powerlifter is they use the Powerlifts (Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift) as a means of increasing Maxium Strength.

While Maximum Strength is developed by performing the Powerlifts, it come at the expense of Developing Poor Technique.

The Training Objective becomes getting the lift up at all cost.

Pole Valuting For Repetitions

Pole Vaulters don't perform Multiple Non-Stop Repetition, nor athlete in other sports.

Ironically, Powerlifters are the ones and possibly the only group of athletes that subscribe to this mentality.

Auxiliary Strength Training Exericses for Powerlifters

Information on this has been posted on this form.

The key to Developing Strength for the Powerlifts or a Strength Movement that an individual needs to gain strength in is best developed with Exercises that are smiilar in nature to it.

Auxiliary Exercise can be pushed to the limit or near to it. However, that type of Training Intensity need to be Infrequent; meaning in the final week of a well Planned Periodization Training Cycle.

Last edited:
People have finishers because either;

A) they didn’t complete a well programmed session immediately before it

Or

B) They have FOMO and can’t cope with the thought they are missing out.

Finishers to me are a sales gimic for the those of us who are ADHD, said as someone who was once afflicted with need to do finishers

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom