all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why does squeezing the glutes protect the lower back?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

hardstyler

Level 1 Valued Member
Squeezing the glutes only involves muscles of the hip and upper legs, so how does that protect the lumbar spine? One idea might be that the psoas muscles are involved too and that this does protect the lower spine, but that's just a guess.

Hard Styler,

When you contract the gluteus, there is a sympathetic contraction of the abs, aiding in the stabilization of the spine.

An over-simplfied explanation, but it's as simple an answer as I have.

Hard Styler, it's not diificult for me to give you an explanation - I have a bad back and feel it when I don't do this.  I'll explain a bit more.  NB: Please understand that I am not a medical doctor and my explanation might not apply to you and your issues.

First of all, what Mark said is absolutely true.  I want to add that different movements mean different things to your lower back.  In a standing overhead press, especially with double kettlebells or a barbell, there is a real temptation to lean back.  Indeed, most people do lean back at least a little, even if they don't realize it, once the load reaches a certain point.  This leaning back can put your lumbar spine into extension, and you want to try to keep your lumbar spine in a neutral position and not extended when under that sort of load.  Clenching your glutes will effectively turn your pelvis under a bit, removing some of that extension (or hyper-extension if you want to call it that).

Similar things happen for me in the bench press - in my case, my lumbar spine is somewhere between a little stiff and downright sore after a bench press set with a big back arch, but clenching my glutes again takes the edge off the compression in my lower back and, indeed, I feel like it helps me open up my spine in the right way and sometimes achieve an even bigger and better arch.  And whether or not it's a bigger or better arch, it sure doesn't hurt as much.

In a nutshell, clenching your glutes tends to both get your lower back into a good place _and_ help brace it to maintain that position against forces trying to make it move - both good and necessary things in most lifts.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-S-

Mark and Steve nailed it as the abs and glutes work together to lock the spine into place.  I would throw in another factor as well.

The glutes connect to the thoracolumbar fascia which is a big hunk of connective tissue, on the other side of which lie the lats.

Much like the rhomboids are effectively the continuation of the serratus anterior, the lats and glutes are effectively the same monster muscle with a continual fiber alignment, broken up by the TLF.   Thus a tug of war from both sides creates tension from the superior spine to the lower spine.

This won't come into play on an OHPR as much as the lockout position of the DL, when the lats, glutes, and abs are all switched on maximally, and in a multi-directional  tug of war, create massive tension to buttress the spine in all directions.

Hope that makes sense, it's a great question!  DB

Hi,

thank you very much for your answers, they helped me a lot understanding the mechanism behind this. So  the goal is to maintain the natural lordosis of the lumbar spine (= 'keeping a neutral spine') by contracting the surrounding muscles. So it would be best to contract ALL stabilizing muscles of the lower back and not just the glutes?

@Mark Toomey

Do I need to actively tighten up the abs too? Or do they contract enough automatically with the glutes?

One of the standards for swing technique at an SFG Level I is a visible contraction of the glutes and abs at the top of a swing, so in a word, the answer to your question is yes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom