all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why is the getup standard for S&S and StrongFirst the low sweep?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
The technique for the getup seems to have evolved over the years.  When Gray Cook introduced the high hip bridge, I thought that had become the standard.  But now I see that the low sweep is the standard.

Since I believe that Pavel has a reason for everything that he does, I wonder what the rational was for making the low sweep rather than the high hip bridge the standard.

My guess is that the low sweep allows for heavier weights to be used thus a greater focus on strength. Just a guess though.

Main focus is on moving more weight. I though I saw something about this a while back <a title="here" href="http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/tgu-minus-high-hip-bridge/#post-13968">here</a>.

Hope it helps!

Jeff, the high bridge is great but it is more corrective in nature and we chose to go with a simpler technique that allows one to go heavier.

I am still a big fan of the high bridge—even without a bell.  A great counter drill for hollow position training.

Pavel,

Would it be safe to say that base is covered with the StrongFirst Hip Bridge?

Jeff

Jeffrey

From a corrective perspective you may find that one hip doesn't extend as well as the other in the high bridge and as Pavel noted it is a good counter to the hollow work.

The low sweep get-up puts the focus back on using the Get-up as a strength tool.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom