all posts post new thread

Nutrition Why isn't this working anymore?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just while I'm on my break from work I'll say this: I'm on day two of slow carb, and it's nice to not be so ravenous halfway through a shift having had a meal at breakfast... And it's good not having to be so concerned about meal timing! :) said meals also allow me to not be hungry, but at the same time don't seem to 'sit' in my stomach and make me sluggish (breaky today was lentils, spinach and a chicken breast).

Found an awesome recipe today that I am going to base my main meals around for work. Well, it hasn't been tried yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

Kalyn's Kitchen®: Mexican Baked Eggs with Black Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chiles, and Cilantro

The plan is to precook the tomato mixture and beans on Sunday. Then throughout the week all I'll have to do is scoop the tomoatos and beans, add an egg and spinach on top and cook it in the oven in 2 seperate portable dishes.

Luckily I have this entire week off to experiment.

Just a quick update... I'm on my 5th day of slow-carb. I like it, energy levels are good and it works well with my shift work and my university schedule. I think I look better in the mirror, though I'm yet to weigh myself (I will weigh myself on Friday (my cheat day) morning before I eat anything). So far no negative effects as such, although it's uncovered an addiction that I've accidentally made for myself - nuts and nut butter. To say I've had 'cravings' for said items would be an understatement. Alas, I've been able to suck it up thus far, and just added it to my list of things to be binged on come Friday. Mind you, I had some awesome Mexican food for lunch today consisting of spicy shredded beef, pinto beans, salsa, and veggies, so life isn't all that bad ;).

One positive (I guess? Yeah, positive!) thing I've noticed which I can only assume is down to the diet is that I'm sweating WAY less when exercising. Anyone other slow-carbers had this/might be able to explain this?

Last edited:
I am enjoying it so far, although I haven't committed to it fully with it being a holiday week. Next week I will be on board 100%.

Also, I'm taking the books suggestion and I'm going to have a Bodpod assessment next week, then I think I'll wait 2 months and then have another.

Well, I had my Bodpod assessment this morning. I was quite surprised by the results, 21% body fat. I knew I was carrying some extra weight, but thought I would be in the teens somewhere. I've been fasting a least once a week for 20-24 hours for quite a while and I am surprised that fasting and lifting through out the week has left my percentage so high. I have been consuming 3500 cals on the other days in attempt to keep/gain muscle. Those 3500 were pretty "clean" calories as well.

So now I am 100% percent on board with the Slow Carb diet. I am also going to fast twice a week, Eat Stop Eat style, which I have read is compatible with Slow Carb. Even though I was disappointed with how much extra fat I am carrying, I am excited to see how much better I will feel at lower percentages and what kind of performance benefits can be gained. I will be testing again in 2 months to see where I am at.

I've never really cared about getting to sub 10%, but have always though I might try some day. Now that I know that extra body fat can bring about unwanted hormone changes for guys I have decided to make it a goal.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am not sure fasting one day a week is "efficient" to lose weight (but once again each person is different).

Indeed, if you fast one day, your body will use sugar / fat to maintain its activities. Nevertheless, the next time you eat, it will store "more sugar / fat" than the usual (surcompensation).

Fasting works really well, IMO, if done on an everyday basis.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom