all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Why KB swings are good for our back?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides I will check out that book. It may be too soon to consider this injury a blessing, but it has made me more aware thats for sure. Thank you.

Dont lose hope and keep your head positive. This is not a death sentence. You will recover. It may take a long time, but with the right attitude, you will look back on it as a gift or a pivotal turning point.

Train what you can. For example, while you are healing, maybe this is a good time to focus on something else. Like grip training for example.

On days I did 2 handed swings with a medium weight I felt as if '' my back was loaded with tension'' So maintaining good posture was alot easier during work. Feels great.
On a side - note I also hurt my back advancing too heavy too early.

I think it is the explosive nature of the swings going from ''normal'' to tensing the muscles hard and so on that really helps us connecting our brains to the muscles as they should. With good form of course.

Correctly performed kettlebell swings (barbell deadlifts... ) are good for our back because teach us to move under the load using the big bones (hips) and strong muscles (legs, glutes, abs, lats... ), and not the small bones (vertebrae) and small muscles (erector spinae).

Correctly performed kettlebell swings (barbell deadlifts... ) are good for our back because teach us to move under the load using the big bones (hips) and strong muscles (legs, glutes, abs, lats... ), and not the small bones (vertebrae) and small muscles (erector spinae).
I'll second what Pavel said. Swings also help me learn how to use tension and relaxation when moving furniture or doing physical tasks. How to breathe as well.

@Sergio, the devil is in the dose. If your technique is solid for a deadlift or a swing, you'll be fine. But if you get a little fatigued and keep going, or become distracted and don't brace properly, then the weight becomes heavier than you can handle and you can get hurt.

I look at my various injuries and pains as blessings - they make me more aware than most people of when my form is less than satisfactory.

I strongly recommend you read "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie. Mine was give to me by my doctor. It will go a long way towards explaining to you what may have caused your back injury. In my opinion, unless we're talking about something catastrophic like an accident, most lower back injuries don't have a single, simple cause.

To continue what Brett said, I only began deadlifting with my doctor's blessing.

I have found I'm more able to maintain strict form in a deadlift, which is slow and controlled, than I am in a swing. Moving quickly, even with a much lighter weight, is nonetheless something that requires a level of skill that is in many ways higher than moving slowly, even when moving slowly involves more weight.

I hope this is helpful. My story has been told many times here, including in an article on this site from late 2012 or early 2013.

-S-

Hey Steve,

When you do the Mckenzie extensions, do you keep your lower back muscles and glutes loose/relaxed or do you brace the area? Thanks.

It should be passive for the spine, not like a "superman". I imagine curling up, one spine joint at a time, beginning at the top, as I press up with my arms. You do that, and you also try to elongate your spine at the same time.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom