all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Peter Attia Changed His Mind on Fasting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
@watchnerd Have you read his book? The training side of it is good (work all the movement patters, train in flat shoes or no shoes, mobility and flexibility, conditioning (zone 2 and zone 5 training) But also the information given about health Is equally as interesting. He breaks it down to the molecular level but some how still keeps it very interesting. In the book he also states why he changed certain things in his diet like why he stopped fasting and why he stopped keto.
Here is the three types of nutrition:
”Each of these approaches has its pros and cons, as I’ve observed over a decade of working on nutrition issues with countless patients. These will be covered in more detail below, but here us the tl;dr:
1. From the standpoint of pure efficacy, CR or caloric restriction is the winner, hands down.
2. DR or dietary restriction is probably the most common strategy employed for reducing energy intake. It is conceptually simple: pick a type of food and the dont eat that food.
3. TR or time restriction- also known as intermittent fasting-is the latest trend in ways to cut calories. In some ways i think its the easiest.”

@watchnerd Have you read his book? The training side of it is good (work all the movement patters, train in flat shoes or no shoes, mobility and flexibility, conditioning (zone 2 and zone 5 training) But also the information given about health Is equally as interesting. He breaks it down to the molecular level but some how still keeps it very interesting. In the book he also states why he changed certain things in his diet like why he stopped fasting and why he stopped keto.
”Each of these approaches has its pros and cons, as I’ve observed over a decade of working on nutrition issues with countless patients. These will be covered in more detail below, but here us the tl;dr:
1. From the standpoint of pure efficacy, CR or caloric restriction is the winner, hands down.
2. DR or dietary restriction is probably the most common strategy employed for reducing energy intake. It is conceptually simple: pick a type of food and the dont eat that food.
3. TR or time restriction- also known as intermittent fasting-is the latest trend in ways to cut calories. In some ways i think its the easiest.”

I've watched hours and hours of his podcasts, which say the same things.

But I've never read his book, no.

My understanding is that there is some evidence that longer-term fasting (not intermittent fasting) can create conditions in the body that promote the breakdown of lean muscle tissue as opposed to fat. I think it is important to make a distinction as to the length of the fast. It seems that there is some evidence that time restricted eating can be very helpful in the loss of body fat mass. I'll see if I can pull some citations to add to this post.

Yes, good book.

I intermittently fast between mouthfuls of glorious carbs. Managing to keep the 5kg I lost earlier in the year off. Getting in more reps and work capacity has increased. Next size down pants. Plain old caloric restriction for me. Still have a beer on weekends, and can’t live without pasta. And I don’t feel horrible/guilty when we occasionally go out for dinner ( Lebanese last night, I probably ate 3kg of meat,rice and garlic).

If he's only now waking up with regards to the long term effects of pesticide exposure from crops (GMO crops even more) he loses some credibility in my book.

He doesn't know crap about herbicides if he thinks that acute toxicity is very low too. It's much lower than it used to be but still much more toxic than Monsanto would want you to believe.

He's probably never visited a small organic farm in his life either.

And he seems to have taken the fasting to an extreme level too.

Intermittent fasting is great for autoimmune issues and GI issues. As for muscle loss, it’s possible but also maybe he wasn’t feasting enough. I call what I do intermittent feasting. Fast and then eat a big meal. If they’ve already proven that the timing of meals doesn’t matter then as long as you hit your calorie goals your should be fine. In theory right? Also muscle mass isn’t as important as strength as Pavel is a great example of. Unless you want to look like a body builder.

It is another case of performance vs health and longevity.

Humans ate via intermittent fasting right from the time of the apes down through the ages until fairly recent times. The industrial revolution forced people to eat when they were not working ie very early, mid day, very late. Before that in agricultural times people generally broke their fast some hours into the day and ate an evening meal. In hunter gather times, they did all that walking to hunt and gather food. The food was bought back to "camp" and then a general meal eaten in the mid-late afternoon. Now, if no food was obtained then they did not eat that day but, this seems to have been the exeception rather than the rule. Also, they did snack a bit on the trail. If you have to carry a lot of fruit, veggies back to camp and eat it there, why not nibble on some when you are doing the picking? That way you carry some with your hands and a bit in your belly. Sometimes, they managed to acquire more food than they could eat and then may have had a snack the next morning.

If you read a lot of archeology, anthropology, ethnology and other information you will see this pattern. Those who don't do that often make incorrect assumptions or statements and adopt an approach that may not replicate the essential properties of the life way of actual hunter gatherers.

So, from a health perspective eating a diet that mimics the nutrient composition of a hunter gatherer diet with variable intermittent fasting should bring most of the benefits. This is purely from a health longevity perspective.

Back
Top Bottom