all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Peter Attia Changed His Mind on Fasting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
The issue of portion size is probably a much bigger factor than generally acknowledged. I live in Asia and the difference is clear. When I go back, I usually order a child size ice cream cone, for example. There is just no need for such ridiculous portion sizes. My wife and I can share one dish at some restaurants.
I travelled through the back blocks of South East Asia trying to be vegetarian so I know how much meat went into the average family-sized meal (as I was constantly picking it out) - about the equivalent of a 1/4 chicken. And not a big fat grain-fed chicken like we're used to but a scrawny little chicken that had lived on bugs and scraps and run for its life from the moment it was born. The meal was principally rice and veggies and cooking oil was used abundantly not just to cook but to enhance the calories of the meal.

A medical researcher told me that intermittent autophagia is good for your health as it makes the body eat up some fat reserves, which might contain gross stuff that would otherwise just keep accumulating. Basically it's good to get your body to starve a wee bit quite frequently.
I try not to eat after 7pm, or at least I do not feel obliged to eat after 7pm. I try to keep it to liquids if I need anything to stay sane, but I do break my ''fast'' sometimes for whatever reason. Not sure of exactly what the semantic definition of fasting is, but probably what I am doing is just intermittently restricting my calories. While asleep I do not feel hunger, so it lets me go without calorie intake for about 16 hours a day, which seems to be a good thing for me. Rather than weighing typically around 102kg like I did before I typically weigh around 94kg. Definitely makes a difference!
Still, ''fasting'' without maintaining muscle and without maintaining cardio-vascular health is very sub-optimal in my opinion. If one is determined enough to do one, then why not the others? I have a poor opinion of the opinion that thinks that exercise is optional. It is not, if we care about health at all.

I travelled through the back blocks of South East Asia trying to be vegetarian so I know how much meat went into the average family-sized meal (as I was constantly picking it out) - about the equivalent of a 1/4 chicken. And not a big fat grain-fed chicken like we're used to but a scrawny little chicken that had lived on bugs and scraps and run for its life from the moment it was born. The meal was principally rice and veggies and cooking oil was used abundantly not just to cook but to enhance the calories of the meal.
I used to eat bugs in Asia - just eating what the chickens ate.

I only know Peter Attia from a Joe Rogan podcast. Joe allows his guests to open up, and even encourages them to go beyond. That's what what makes the podcast so beautiful.
Peter never went beyond, which makes me think he has no idea what he is talking about.
On the flip side, Joe put Pavel T in the corner, and the true Pavel came out, balls and all.
Peter is just a replicant, big ag are selling less cereal, so let's pay someone to bring it back.
In Joe's podcast, Pavel when pressed, never denounced bodybuilding movements, however the Lord of fasting Mr Attia has now taken a 180.
Maybe he is losing muscle because he is not training in a way to maintain it?

I only know Peter Attia from a Joe Rogan podcast. Joe allows his guests to open up, and even encourages them to go beyond. That's what what makes the podcast so beautiful.
Peter never went beyond, which makes me think he has no idea what he is talking about.
On the flip side, Joe put Pavel T in the corner, and the true Pavel came out, balls and all.
I've seen my share of Joe Rogan, including Peter and Pavel's episodes. I don't really understand your assessment...

I've seen my share of Joe Rogan, including Peter and Pavel's episodes. I don't really understand your assessment...
I think they are saying cereal companies are so rich they have the ability to create perfect human clones/androids to do their bidding. They use that hyper advanced tech to convince people to eat their wheaties.

What I can’t figure out is if it is Eddie Bravo satire or not.
Poe’s law I guess

Peter is just a replicant, big ag are selling less cereal, so let's pay someone to bring it back.
In Joe's podcast, Pavel when pressed, never denounced bodybuilding movements, however the Lord of fasting Mr Attia has now taken a 180.
Maybe he is losing muscle because he is not training in a way to maintain it?

That's a lot to unpack.

Torn on whether I even want to tug on the replicant and cereal threads for fear the whole sweater may unravel.

That’s more than saying he’s wrong, it’s insulting him, IMO.

-S-
To be fair now. Peter has a principle of “strong convictions but loosely held”.

He believes what he thinks is right, but is open to criticism about it. And changes his beliefs based on new information.

He had a podcast episode a while back where he went into this in the context of why he used to be a huge advocate for IF for weight loss, but found that a high percentage of his patients would lose muscle and add fat mass. So he stopped using IF as a weightloss panacea.

Since all the research has come out demonstrating IF works via caloric restriction and doesn’t seem to have any special properties his strongly held convictions about its benefits have changed drastically.

Frankly I like the guy because he has an open mind. Seems like a lot of the old Taubes/NUSI crew who got fired for not coming to “correct conclusions” in their research share this trait.

Back
Top Bottom