all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Why the hook grip?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve responds that it's primarily used in GS, not so much in Hardstyle. But they still mean thumb over fingers not fingers over thumb.

I never use it, and honestly don't know anyone that does.

Steve responds that it's primarily used in GS, not so much in Hardstyle. But they still mean thumb over fingers not fingers over thumb.

I never use it, and honestly don't know anyone that does.
So you grip the kettlebell in swings like you do for TGUs? All the way back in the palm?

When I mention "hook" grip, I'm talking about a thumbless grip that's a little more in the fingers than palm. I had an instructor recommend using it when I was tearing my palms out when catching snatches on the drop with "unseasoned" hands. It's not my default grip, and a lot harder to do with heavier bells. It's helped me salvage many workouts by switching over to it in swings/snatches if my calluses start getting too aggravated.

My hook grip is weaker than if I grip the kettlebell deeper in my palm. So why is it recommended?
In S&S 2.0 the instruction for this is in the hand-care section. It's not as strong a grip, but it is a lot easier on the skin at the top of the palm because it's not creased by the handle. I honestly thought my hands weren't big enough to ever use it, but lately I have found that I am getting there. I don't think it's an either or as much as a degree. Sometimes when I have over-gripped, I correct during the float to just ease my grip back a tad.

My hook grip is weaker than if I grip the kettlebell deeper in my palm. So why is it recommended?

Yeah, it's confusing. "Hook grip" with barbell is thumb inside the fingers. Used for heavy deadlifts, snatches, and clean & jerks. No one really does that with a kettlebell, although I suppose it can be done. There's no reason to. so I tend to avoid using the term "hook grip" in reference to kettlebell lifting.

But for kettlebell, hooking the handle in the fingers as opposed to a deeper grip that puts the handle in your palm, YES. Definitely recommended for swings, and the lower part of the snatch or clean.

Primary reason for beginners and intermediate kettlebellers is to not pinch the palm calluses. Secondary reason is to help get the swing timing right, so the kettlebell is an extension of your arm (the same thing you learn with towel swings).

I would say the primary reason for advanced kettlebellers is to minimize friction, have more finesse with certain movement.

But in some advanced applications, for example kettlebell snatches with a very heavy bell, a deeper palm grip is sometimes good to go back to. Harald Motz has described that in a couple of threads, as has Tim Almond on Instagram.

I used to think my grip felt terribly weak using the hook grip as I interpreted it. I therefore held it deeper but always had to protect the top of the palm using the sock sleeve trick.

Since restarting S&S however after a pretty long KB hiatus, the grip seemed to naturally work for me. My tip would be focus not on the hook aspect but hold just firmly enough to take the skin at the top of the palm out of the firing line. I haven't used my sleeves once which rather surprised me given I used to be completely reliant on them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom