all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Why "Turkish" Get Up???

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Why is the get up called "Turkish"??? Is there any evidence it was ever a popular exercise in Turkey? Does anyone know its real origins?

I recall reading somewhere in a book on George Hackenschmidt, Hack being described as "getting up from seated in the Turkish style". I looked up what that meant and it is the crossed legged seated position that Americans might call Indian style.

I recall reading somewhere in a book on George Hackenschmidt, Hack being described as "getting up from seated in the Turkish style". I looked up what that meant and it is the crossed legged seated position that Americans might call Indian style.
Tamer, very interesting.

-S-

Yes, that is how the cross legged sitting is called in Europe. So far, I have never found a reference to Turkish wrestlers in the old manuals.

I prefer to simply refer to it as the Get-up now.

I spoke with Warren Tetting about the origin of the "Turkish" get up. Mr. Tetting was not positive about this but believes that since many of the old time strongmen were also wrestlers that later in the 20th century, possibly the '50's that Turkish and Iranian wrestlers picked up on this movement for their training. Due to this, people thought that was where the move came from. He stated as Mr. Whitley did that it was also done from what we call the "Indian sit" position.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom