all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why we still NEED science...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
Because well known "coaches" sometimes peddle BS like this. Once you lose credibility, you can almost never get it back. If he actually believes this, then do you really want to take training advise from him? If he is smart enough not to believe this himself, what does that say about his integrity? In that case, would you still take training advise from him? Either way he loses.

Do Power Bracelets Work

didn't click the link, but I learned how to ride a bike when I was a kid right after my Grandmother sent me a Superman costume for Halloween... I put it on, fastened the cape up, and took off on the 2-wheeler that I had never rode before, and was out for an hour and a half.

didn't click the link, but I learned how to ride a bike when I was a kid right after my Grandmother sent me a Superman costume for Halloween... I put it on, fastened the cape up, and took off on the 2-wheeler that I had never rode before, and was out for an hour and a half.

Superman cape is just as legit as the magic bracelets with some type of "activation water" droplets that he is selling. ;)

As an NBA fan, Power Balance was pretty amusing. And athletes are still promoting similar products.

The real point I am making here is not the presence of "snake oil" products but the fragility of credibility. The guy promoting this is a coach. He shot his credibility by doing this. Once you lose your credibility it is gone. You can almost never get it back.

I would still say the coach's credibility is in his results with clients. I'd have to see more of his body of work before passing judgment on him as a coach.

I would still say the coach's credibility is in his results with clients. I'd have to see more of his body of work before passing judgment on him as a coach.

I believe that is completely true and legitimate. But triathlon coaches who get results are plentiful. Why choose one with a credibility problem?

Besides, this is so egregious how can someone ever trust or believe this coach again. Especially since he continues to defend this drivel. Many coaches make mistakes and advocate a training philosophy and later discover that they were wrong (Dan John was once a Crossfitter for example) but the credible ones learn from it, admit their mistake, and in doing so prove that they have integrity and are capable of learning something new.

The article is rather amusing in that he spends a small amount of time showing you how studies on three such products showed no benefit from wearing them, but then tries to justify his recommendation to try them through vague scientific theories and personal anecdotes, despite the scientific proof he just referenced that they are no better than placebo. I agree with Mr Prevost, even if this guy has good results with some clients, the safe money would be to find recommendations from a reputable and successful coach who doesn't include expensive snake oil in his arsenal.

Last edited:
I agree with @mprevost original post. I might use my Superman cape to try to break a PR next time, but if I were a coach I would write an article about it...

I used to follow that guy. As far as credibility goes, he seems to have plenty in the LCHF, paleo, bio hacker crowd. It was actually through his podcast that I was first heard about Dan John and Maffetone.

Last edited:
I wish it were as simple as "endorse BS, lose credibility forever". Unfortunately, this industry simply does not work that way. You see, Mr. Greenfield has very low body fat and visible abs. This confers credibility in a way that is very hard to overestimate. Mr. Rippetoe can write an article insisting, for example, that strength is more important for healthy aging than low bodyfat, argue his point cogently, refute its counter effectively, point to many years of clinical data that supports the position, and under that article commenters by the dozen will insist he couldn't possibly know what he's talking about because he's got a gut.

Additionally, when one endorses some piece of equipment or some methodology or some movement screening tool, making significant-sounding claims about the efficacy - and it turns out to be snake oil once actual science has had time to evaluate the claims - the next move is to fight a rear-guard action, claiming the science didn't test your actual claims, and anyway we've refined our approach far beyond what was tested by this obsolete research paper. Thus, the FMS can fail to predict athletic performance in scientific testing and be shown to predict injury risk almost exactly as reliably as a coin flip and people will still rush to its defense, simultaneously insisting it never claimed it could predict such things while ballyhooing the upcoming updated version.

@Bill Been .....what do you mean, doesn't Mark Rippetoe have a health and well being portal? I'd be interested in some rosemary infused bath bombs for mental clarity and cosmic beard growth. I'm disappointed.

Bill
I will simply say that your perspective on FMS is inaccurate IMO and would be more than willing to have a private discussion with you about it.

FMS was not designed to predict performance - Period.

If you look at the Lehr research you will see more robust information when FMS is combined with Y-BT and previous injury etc....

There are articles and research reviews on the FMS site if anyone is interested.

While I'll be the first to say that exercise science has limitations, that does NOT mean we don't need it.

In addition, I would like to see more college courses in critical thinking. You cannot consider yourself educated unless you have a basic understanding of logical fallacies, cognitive biases, and basic statistical concepts like sample size and correlation.

Good and humorous example from @Matts

I learned how to ride a bike when I was a kid right after my Grandmother sent me a Superman costume for Halloween... I put it on, fastened the cape up, and took off on the 2-wheeler that I had never rode before, and was out for an hour and a half.

There is clearly a strong correlation between wearing the cape and riding a bicycle. However, we are all smart enough to realize that there is no causation here.

The problem arises when correlation is established with something that just might have an effect. Let's say I develop a supplement that I claim improves a person's ability to learn skills such as riding a bicycle. I add in compounds that have some support from the medical literature to improve mental and nervous system functioning: ginseng, B vitamins, caffeine. I get some people to make statements that they learned how to ride a bike very shortly after taking my potion. So I have established a correlation. Unlike the cape, my potion may have a positive effect on nervous system function which may just help a person learn a new skill more quickly. However, this does not make my potion immune critical analysis. Unfortunately, many people will buy my potion based on the very limited anecdotal data that I present in my advertising.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom