all posts post new thread

Nutrition Will 100% Fat get me into Ketosis Faster?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

William F

Level 3 Valued Member
I am trying to get into a state of Ketosis right now been strict 85% Fat, and roughly 10% Protein, 5% or less Carbs. (for 4 days now)

But if I went on a diet of 100% Fat would that induce Nutritional Ketosis faster?

I am trying to get adapted as rapidly as possible. (Not a very patient person)

Thanks for any and all information you all can give me.

100% fat won't give enough glucose and ketones for your brain to function properly also how do you even plan to do that?
Only drinking olive oil for a couple of days?

Training hard on your current diet is reputed to induce ketosis faster than diet alone.

Since the ketogenic response is basically a reaction to starvation, you might get there more rapidly by fasting for a day.

Keeping activity levels up will blow through your carb reserves more rapidly.

Give it time, I've read it can take a week or more. Exercise helps deplete glycogen reserves.

Yeah I was considering essentially fasting on oil, I am doing 500-1000 Swings a day to help deplete Glycogen also.

@Kettlebelephant yeah thats what I was thinking since even in a state of Ketosis the brain can only use what is it? 70-80% ketones?

@Steve Freides I have to admit, currently even at 85% Fat its a race to the derned toilet lol....

My biggest thing is journaling this right now, I really want to live in a state of ketosis, but this is the first time since being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic I have started to go full ketosis, as such I am being very very careful.

Type 2's can almost always benefit from Ketosis, but as a type 1 its definitely dangerous territory (who knows it could be highly beneficial to)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to shorten the distance to full keto I would appreciate it, right now as I mentioned 5% or less per day carbs, and doing 500-1000 swings daily to use up glycogen stores.

I would agree with Steve on this one and get advice from qualified medical professional, assuming you can find one with the expertise.

From everything I've read you're doing about all you can - keep up the pressure on your glycogen and stay with the diet plan. It can take longer than expected for some folks, but eventually you will kick over.

Look up Primal Edge Health on YouTube. Cool guy, solid content.

Regarding the 100% fat thing... Entering ketosis as far as I'm aware is more about a lack of dietary carbs than it is about presence of dietary fat.

So, if you restrict carbs enough you'll enter ketosis, regardless of the amount of fat eaten. That's my understanding at least...

After reading your original post, I was going to say this:

The best thing to eat for fast fat adaptation is literally nothing. Do a zero calorie fast. For about 5 days straight every 2-3 weeks, for enough cycles that you can get into ketosis within 72 hours. This will be unpleasant, but trying to force your body to adapt quickly generally is. Also, it may cause health issues, but trying to force your body to adapt quickly generally does that.

Then I read this:
this is the first time since being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic I have started to go full ketosis

...aaaaand now I think this, "Maybe multi day fasts aren't a good idea for an individual with impaired blood glucose regulation."

So my advice now is:
  1. Find and directly contact someone who has lived out the process you want to live out. In this case, that means find a Type 1 diabetic who spends a fair amount of time in ketosis, or at least a medical professional who has real life experience with exactly what you're trying to do. If you can't find these people, that is, in itself, fairly educational.
  2. Whatever you do, keep a close eye on your blood sugar. I don't know how often you check it now, but I would (not being a doctor) assume that you would want to check it upon waking, before at least one meal, and an hour or two after said meal.
Also, if you're going to take this seriously, and you're already poking yourself for blood all the time anyways, get a real ketone meter (if you haven't already). There are at least a couple companies that make combination glucose/ketone meters, so you can measure both values at the same time. The keto-stix that you pee on are not inaccurate per se, but they are very much a blunt instrument. I would imagine that someone in your situation would want to know their actual blood ketone concentration, as opposed to what color their stick is.

All that being said, good luck! Type 1 diabetics have a life-long, uphill battle, and I applaud you for being proactive and trying to find the best way to manage your condition, instead of letting it manage you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom