all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Will Jarryd Hayne be a flash in the pan ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tarzan

Level 6 Valued Member
Coming from Australia and having a background playing and coaching Rugby League, I've had more than a passing interest in Jarryd Hayne's switch to the NFL.

From what I've seen he seems to have started quite well in some of the pre-season matches. It seems like he still has a lot to learn and I've noticed him being caught out of position a few times. I suppose that's to be expected as NFL is a lot different to Rugby League and it will be a steep learning curve studying playbooks etc.

I always thought Jarryd would do well in NFL as he's got a real talent for evading people whilst in a sprint and he's just a natural born athlete. I see both games as derivatives of war games of sorts and Jarryd has that warrior spirit.

I don't get the opportunity to hear many opinions from Americans, just opinions from Australians who are mostly not very well versed in the nuances of NFL and its politics.

Will he be able to forge a career in the NFL or will he get chopped down and relegated to the lower grades?

As a 49ers fan, I'm already liking his ability to learn quickly as the pre-season progressed. From seeing our team go from championship potential to missing the playoffs to watching core players of our team retire or move on, it has not been a fun year. I have no idea what to expect this year, but Hayne has been my favorite player to look forward to this season.

He definitely is a natural born athlete with a warrior's spirit as you mention. I really think he'll be able to adapt. As a punt returner he's just a plain natural. The real question is whether he can learn enough soon enough to be a great running back. He seems bright and motivated, so he may be able to have some great years in the NFL. At 27, time is his biggest enemy in establishing himself.

It looks like he made the roster.

It was a big gamble for him, he left a potential multi million dollar contract here and pinned all his hopes on what many said was an impossible task. He could have stayed here and been assured of a future set in stone.

Good luck with the 49ers this year jca17, I reckon you've just picked up several million Australian fans in the last few weeks.

Edit: Now I'm going to have to explain the rules of gridiron to my wife - she has no idea what it's all about but she wants to watch it because of Jarryd.

Hayne is a world-class athlete, but the NFL and the college system that feeds it are absolutely stacked with other world-class athletes. Hopefully rugby has toughened him up enough because the NFL is a brutally physical league and routinely chews up and spits out athletes that are the best at what they do in the world. I hope he can survive his first season, because he will only get better with more experience.

Yeah I suspected that would happen. That's why I gave this thread the title it has.

He did drop a few balls, but I can't catch one of those little things from a high swirling punt either for the life of me either. Maybe it was justified, maybe it was politics.

Maybe it was a combination of both.

He'd drawn extra attention to himself with his pre-season efforts, but that's no excuse as anyone in his position has a definite target on them. I thought he did OK from what I saw (and his stats were OK too) but in the predicament the 49ers are in now they really need a star in all the main positions, so I can understand the decision. That being said, to be clutching at straws mid season seems like mismanagement to me.

Maybe it was a symptom of modern management ideals - if it doesn't work instantly, change it. We see it in soccer, basketball, NFL and now in NRL as well. Sometimes that mentality works, sometimes it doesn't.

I hope he comes back home to entertain us in the NRL.

His agent said he will be working hard to continue his NFL dream and won't be returning to the NRL anytime soon. Probably a smart choice. For all the effort he's put in, it seems like it would be a shame to not at least try to get on another team and continue learning for a season or two before turning away from it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom