all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Will this get me buff? If so how long?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

grogers01

First Post
Hi! My names Gabe and I'm wondering if what I'm doing can get me muscles. I usually workout everyday. What I do is 5 sets of 10 pushups, 3 sets of 7 dips, two sets of 20 bicep curls (10.5 pound weight). I eat lots of protein and drink 160 fl. oz. I run 2-3 sometimes four miles every day. I am not to fat and not to skinny. About in between. Is there any recommendations you have for me? Will this get me muscle mass?

Hello,

@grogers01
Welcome to StrongFirst

What is your physical background ? Do you have medical constraints ? What is your goal : strength, endurance, bulking ? Do you recover well ?

Gaining muscle is not only about proteins. This is also a matter of carbs / fat. Could you give us some details about your diet ?

Regarding the programming, plenty of options. Assuming you want to go for a mainly bodyweight routine and train everyday and aiming for strength, you can go for the Naked Warrior progressions (so making your way to OAOL PU and pistol squat). To get things more "complete", I'll add some pull ups ladders and abs (for instance HardStyle Abs).

Muscle is built during the recovery. So training everyday requires submaximal effort to get enough recovery (both muscular and nervous)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@grogers01
Welcome to StrongFirst

What is your physical background ? Do you have medical constraints ? What is your goal : strength, endurance, bulking ? Do you recover well ?

Gaining muscle is not only about proteins. This is also a matter of carbs / fat. Could you give us some details about your diet ?

Regarding the programming, plenty of options. Assuming you want to go for a mainly bodyweight routine and train everyday and aiming for strength, you can go for the Naked Warrior progressions (so making your way to OAOL PU and pistol squat). To get things more "complete", I'll add some pull ups ladders and abs (for instance HardStyle Abs).

Muscle is built during the recovery. So training everyday requires submaximal effort to get enough recovery (both muscular and nervous)

Kind regards,

Pet'
My diet consists of 3 meals. Breakfast I have breakfast essentials its a powder I put in milk. For lunch I usually have a peanut butter sandwich, with a granola bar or pudding if i'm feeling happy. Dinner is always either chicken or turkey with salad and a vegetable. I only drink water and milk. I'm aiming to get stronger and look more built and defined. I also wanna lose some belly fat. Any tips?

@grogers01
This forum will be helpful but it may be hard to understand some of the content and advice along with the underlying reasons for both without some other base knowledge to help you on this journey. Go to your local library, thrift store, yard sale, or book store and look for the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips; it is a great introduction to both nutrition and physique training in a single book.

Breaking it out into individual topics try these nutrition books, "The Zone" by Barry Sears along with "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Next, read through "Purposeful Primitive" by Marty Galagher and finally finish with Power to the People or Beyond Bodybuilding by Pavel Tsatsouline.

Short answer to your question:
  1. Lift heavier weights with weights you can lift 8-12 times and do 3-5 sets.
  2. Add more calories around the time you train
  3. Cut out carbohydrates (especially sugars) except for around the time you train and one other day every 7-10 days
  4. Sleep more

If you can, do pull ups or chin ups instead of the bicep curls. If you can't do a pull/chin up, jump to the top position hold it and then lower down slowly. This will do more for your biceps and back (and abs), IMHO

@grogers01 - Welcome to StrongFirst. There is a wealth of useful information in the articles as well as the forum :)

Good luck

The running won't put too much mass on your legs if that's what you're looking for. You didn't say what kind of equipment you have available but some kind of strength exercise, like squats or one leg squat progression, would be good. Also, try to add reps or weight or progress to more difficult exercises when you can.

Hi! My names Gabe and I'm wondering if what I'm doing can get me muscles. I usually workout everyday. What I do is 5 sets of 10 pushups, 3 sets of 7 dips, two sets of 20 bicep curls (10.5 pound weight). I eat lots of protein and drink 160 fl. oz. I run 2-3 sometimes four miles every day. I am not to fat and not to skinny. About in between. Is there any recommendations you have for me? Will this get me muscle mass?

While you can gain muscle and lose body fat at the same time, it's not always the most effective strategy. Getting stronger so you can train more volume - since it's the volume that will help hypertrophy. I agree with the suggestion to replace your bicep curls with pulls - you need to balance your pushup. What about your legs?? Pistols? How are your runs - slow and steady or sprint like? It is absolutely possible to build muscle with bodyweight training, but in my experience, it's longer than with external load.

While you can gain muscle and lose body fat at the same time, it's not always the most effective strategy. Getting stronger so you can train more volume - since it's the volume that will help hypertrophy. I agree with the suggestion to replace your bicep curls with pulls - you need to balance your pushup. What about your legs?? Pistols? How are your runs - slow and steady or sprint like? It is absolutely possible to build muscle with bodyweight training, but in my experience, it's longer than with external load.
I usually run a decent pace. I run a 29:22 5k about every day. After I work my arms outside. I do lift and work my legs every Saturday.

Sleep.

It does wonders for growth hormone and testosterone production. The more you can sleep, the better.

And I'll echo what everyone has been saying: eat. Eat until the sight or thought of food makes you sick. Then eat some more.

Some "tips" that I used in HS to gain weight for football:
-Dont change your diet, simply add a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to every meal.
-Half cup of peanut butter every night before bed
-Cut down LSD running to sprints 2-3x per week
-Sleep 9+ hours a night

At 16 and over the period of 2 months I went from a solid 186(ish) to 205. And I hit like a freight train.

May or may not work for you, but experimenting and finding what works for you is key.

Good Luck!
-WF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom