all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Windmill form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Looks good to me, but other than SFG II I have never used windmill very much. Others may have more to say.

What I see is that your alignment is good, you're pushing into the back hip (good, but possibly could be more), your loaded/back leg is straight (maybe could be slightly straighter), your spine is getting good rotation in the t-spine area and not bending to the side when you come down (good). Try to load the back leg as much as possible. I think the repeated Pavel advice is to pretend the front foot has an egg under it and you don't want to break the egg. The front leg can be either bent or straight, while the back leg is straight.

I use windmills as part of my warmup, they really underrated!

Overall looks good but your cheating yourself on the grip. Get it overhead either snatch or Clean and press with a proper hold will get your wrist, arm and shoulder locked into tight. Just curling it up there puts your wrist out of alignment

Like Anna said.. Most of your bodyweight should be on that back leg, think like a one legged deadlift but weight over head.

Ok great thanks, good to know im not going too wrong!

I will focus more on keeping the back leg straight with more weight on that leg.

As for the grip, its only a very light weight, 10kg just so i can focus on getting form right and getting a good stretch from it but if i use a 16kg i will definitely clean and press into position.

Thanks!

A decent start..

Remember the windmill is a hinge+rotation

Once your hip has reached its end range then you focus on rotation..

You don't need to reach your hand to the floor

Out of curiosity, ive been doing windmills after my S&S days which i do MWF.
I alternate with pullups aba bab

Is this ok, ive been wondering if i should do them on tues thurs when i do flexible steel or even in the evenings

Or does it even matter when im doing them!?

Is this ok, ive been wondering if i should do them on tues thurs when i do flexible steel or even in the evenings

Or does it even matter when im doing them!?

You're not currently loading them heavy, so I think either one is fine, whatever suits your schedule. When not heavy, it's more about mobility, tension/relaxation, rotation/movement, breathing optimally, stability, all that "other stuff" which can bring benefits anytime because it's not a stress that you have to recover from.

Im thinking as i just cant get along with the QL stretch, ive tried various ways of doing it all feel very uncomfortable, maybe replacing it with windmills or windmill stick
Is it a viable replacement?

Im thinking as i just cant get along with the QL stretch, ive tried various ways of doing it all feel very uncomfortable, maybe replacing it with windmills or windmill stick
Is it a viable replacement?

I can't comment on its equivalence to the QL stretch, but I love the windmill stick and do it regularly. I do weighted windmills on occasion too, but do the stick version much more often. It's easy to squeeze in between sets of other drills, has no recovery demand, and feels good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom