all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Windmill

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anatoly

Level 4 Valued Member
Does anyone know the core emg for the windmill. How well does it work the muscles in the core

Does anyone know the core emg for the windmill. How well does it work the muscles in the core
I can't tell you strict data, but windmill is decent fullbody lift. It activates at least glutes, hamstrings, obliques and all muscles of shoulder. So one could choose must worse than windmill. First you should naturally press, snatch, jerk or get up that weight overhead. :D

Which muscles and functions of the core are you asking about?

I don't have EMG data, but if we think about physiology, and combine that with what we experience when doing the windmill:

Quite a lot:
--Anti-extension, contra-lateral
--Anti-rotation
--Anti-lateral flexion

Modest:
--Anti-extension, midline
--Hollowing / bracing

Practically none:
--Flexion

Now, if you're asking if it will give you beach-ready abs, aesthetics is an entirely different issue and, as we all know, diet dependent.

I can tell you my personal data - I have poor t-spine rotation, and I can cramp my obliques doing windmills with a 4 kg kettlebell.

-S-

Used to do them and liked them. My SI joint on my right side hates them now. So I avoid. Using double kettlebell was fun

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom