all posts post new thread

Old Forum Wiped after S&S with 40kg. Suggestions?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’m up to a 40kg kettlebell on S&S.  My swings are almost to 10×10 1 handed, but sometimes I’m doing sets of 5 instead of 10 one handed.  My get ups are fine, but I need more rest between them than just 30 seconds, hehe.  The main thing is I am literally zapped of energy after a session.  The 40 has been my bell for going on two months now and the 32kg feels like a toy (which is incredibly awesome).  Full sessions takes me about 45 minutes (instead of the goal of 30) and I’m not afraid to do two handed swings instead of one handed on days I feel weak and tired, but those days are becoming more frequent.

I work a 24 on/48 off schedule and I take my kettlebell to the station with me as well as work out at home.  I’m only managing 3 or 4 times a week right now and I can’t imagine 6 days a week of this.  For lifestyle I am about 85% to 90% where I want to be with diet and when I am off my sleep and rest and relaxation seems to be enough to make up for very long nights at work.  Is this long term effects of exhaustion from work kicking in, or overtraining, or what?  What can I do?  Should I alter S&S at all or is it time to change programs?

Take a week off - we all need one now and then.

If it doesn't go better for you after a week off, consider switching to another program, or switching to something like alternating sets of 32 and 40 kg so that you're not so tired.

Please also post a video of your 32 and 40 kg one- and two-handed swings.

-S-

Like Steve recommended, definitely take a little time off.

Also, do not only use the 40kg. I remember when I started I used the 24, no problem. Then I transitioned to the 32 and it took a couple weeks, but then I was fine using the 32 all week. The 40 is a big, mean kettlebell. When I started working that in I found that I needed to cut back a bit. I began working through a rotation of 24kg with overspeed swings and paused get ups, 32kg normal, and heavy days working in the 40. By waving the load up and down I was able to consistently make progress and push myself. And then back off a bit.

Side topic- To the Original Poster and the others:

Did y'all jump from 32kg directly to the 40kg?  And if you are training with your own personal bells did you invest in pairs of 24kg and 32kg first, then buy a 40kg?  Or did you purchase singles of a run of bells?

Thanks for any wisdom in building the garage gym with precise intention.

I have just 4 bells currently.   8, 16, 24, and 32kg.  I'm probably a month or so away from purchasing a 40kg.  I figure once I master the 40, I'll start on some double bell work.

I have the 40kg, 32kg, 55lb, and two 35lb kettlebells.  The 40kg and 32kg are from Muscledriver and gray hammertone finish.  The 55 and two 35lbs are bodysolids ordered off of amazon.  Strangley, I seriously do not remember ordering the second 35lb and do not remember when I got it.  They're good, but the finish chips easily.  I like the muscledriver kettlebells a lot and I'll probably get a Beast from them when it is time.  I also bought a 150lb sandbag from them that's been fun.  Quality stuff, at least as long as you're not using the handles on the sandbag which you should be using anyway.

Not sure if/when I'll move to double kettlebells.

There's a lot of confusion in this that needs to be cleared up. First, Simple & Sinister is 100 one-handed swings, done in sets of ten, in 5 minutes, not a mix-n-match of two handed swings, sets of 5, and long rest periods. Then you get one minute rest and begin your Get Ups, which you must complete in ten minutes - 5 per side. So the goal is for this to be done in 16 minutes, not 30 as you stated.  Once you can reliably hit these standards with a 32 kilo bell, you have attained the Simple goal and may begin to introduce the next heavier bell in a controlled way that doesn't send you spiralling way outside the time standards.

This mix-up casts confusion over whether you're over training or just using a bell you're not ready for.

Matt, I jumped from the 32 to the 40, but did over time.

I have a 50lb, 70lb and 40kg. First two are cap, third is muscledriver (likely same as JZB). Very happy with all three.

Only thing holding me back from doubles is the cost. I imagine I'll invest at some point, and likely work my way back up the rungs.

Bill, I'm familiar with the goals of the program.  Sorry for the confusion.  I meant roughly 30 minutes total for a workout/recharge/whatchamacallit.  That includes my warmup and such with the 5 minute swing goal and 10 minute getup goal.  I'm not in a rush to get through the warmup cycle, and I like adding in a few rounds of kb sumo deadlifts to groove the pattern and positioning before swings.  The 1h swings with the 32kg are easy to get done in 5 minutes, especially going back to them now that I've been using the 40kg.  Getups with the 32kg I can do almost without any pause between reps, old-school ETK PM style, though it takes a tad bit longer than 5 minutes  ;)

I transitioned to the 40 from the 32 in a way that closely resembled the transitions recommended in S&S.  Those in the book are also clearly stated as "a way" to transition to a heavier bell, and not "the way, or you're not doing the program".  There's been plenty of other recommendations and sample transitions on here from Pavel and other senior SFGs, some involving 2h swings, lower rep sets, etc.  My worry has been the lack of energy afterward and general feeling of fatigue (likely work related), and the feeling that I need to increase my time between reps while doing S&S (also likely work related).

I took the day off yesterday and today I did S&S with the 32kg.  It felt easy and fast, like a good recharge should, but it's definitely not heavy enough to be my only kettlebell I'm using right now.  I'm thinking of doing like Andy and Steve recommended and using the 32 and 40 for a while.  Maybe keep the 32 for days I'm at work so there's a tad more in the tank and the 40 for my off days when I can focus on recovery and getting stronger.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sorry to have mixed you up with those who don't understand this program, JKB. Now I wish I had something productive to say about your actual issue. Food and sleep come to mind, but the other suggestions you've gotten are better than mine.

JZB, one option is to use the 40 twice a week and go lighter twice for a week or two and monitor the response.

Bill,

Food and sleep are always going to be major factors for me.  Sleep because I don't get much of it sometimes and food because those long days and nights lead to constant snacking and eating garbage.  However, I'm doing better with that (85%-90% where I want to be) and most of that is because I quit drinking.  My wife and I are over a month now without alcohol and neither of us miss it.

Pavel,

Thank you for your suggestions!  The alternating of the 32kg and 40kg seems to be working so far, I'll keep it up like you said and see how it feels.  And if it keeps working I keep that in my back pocket for when I need to alternate the 48 and 40kg!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom