all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Word of the Day - Blatherskite

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
blatherskite | Definition of blatherskite in English by Oxford Dictionaries

It says it's North American but I've never heard it. Anyone else care to comment on this word?

I get the Word of the Day from these folks and find it interesting and entertaining, but often a word I don't recognize is a useage from another English-speaking part of the world. This one, apparently not.

And let's all try not to be blatherskites. :)

-S-

From what I can see it's a compound word - the first part 'blather' would be recognisable to most Brits at least, e.g. blathering on about......

Apparently 'skite' is an insulting term of Scottish origin - I've not heard of that word, but our Northern friends have nearly an infinite number of ways to insult the English so it's certainly plausible.

A wise man once told me that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I never understood what hunting had to do with getting candy bars at the local convenience store. I see training the same way. If I am able to do a two rep max one week followed by a two rep max the next week I assume I will be able to do a 1 rep max the week after.

Perhaps it's worth considering that the major contributing factor to weakness has to do with the modern prevalence of protein and nutrition bars. It is easier now than ever for individuals to train, eat and then train again - creating an environment for toxic masculinity. The excitable nature of the modern news media would love for us all to believe that protein bars are therefor incubi on our culture.

It is also important to remember that most development is in direct response to a stimulus. The nature of the stimulus is yet very important. Adolescence creates a different stimulus and different response than both in adulthood. Having four different combinations of stimulus and response depending on protein bar marketing schemes plays a significant role in the acceptance of gender neutrality.

If I were to compare male and female deadlifting mechanics based on age of development those same stimuli and response would be generally equal across all subjects. I use the term "equal" loosely though because it's obvious to most modern research that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I definitely appreciate all the insight and knowledge of the membership here on the forums. I have been all over the country and parts of the world to know that this a unique place. Especially considering the relationships are all made up of ones and zeros and, for all we know, everyone is simply a construct in the matrix making us all believe in our own existence. Combine that with targeted protein supplement marketing and it's a wonder we aren't all crying on the floor in anticipation of the liberal news media influencing our beliefs on the aforementioned toxic masculinity.

Science has almost made it certain that it is possible to achieve a desired response without a directly correlated stimulus though. Squatting during adolescence has proven to create elite level deadlifters and runners depending on the stimulus. All things being equal, the lifter to consume a protein bar during a training session was shown to have an above average rate of development. I don't remember the exact citation for the study but I do remember that they removed the marketing variable by providing different manufactures and brands of protein supplementation using generic packaging.

Also, the study compared both male and female against a control group that performed both a 1RM and 5RM on different days. The group to perform the 1RM was able to the same number of reps with lower weight but the other group was unable to perform more reps with the same weight. From my experience, focusing on more weight for more reps leads to overtraining and a side effect of latent sexual ambiguity. The same ambiguity the conservative news media uses to market protein bars to gym rats and Bros.

It's a wonder we are even able to filter through all the BS to find such a great group of like minded individuals. I believe the internet has at least gotten one thing right...strength forums. At least this one. I have been around the block and my experience supports that not all forums are equal and the StrongFirst forum in the hand is worth two in the bush.

So, long story short, my question is...which program should I ultimately do to get stronger, leaner, more attractive, smell better, have more friends, make more money, get into grad school, and ultimately just feel better?

lol... @Bro Mo I think you've defined and personified the word quite well there.

A similar favorite word of mine is bloviate.

Imagine being called a bloviating blatherskite.

Back to my original complaint. I don’t think this word is rightly characterized as North American.

-S-

Sounds more Irish/ Scottish than North American.

Change the "k" in skite to "h" and I'd say you'd have a closer approximation of how it originated

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom