all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Words you use for exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ukrainian versions. Kettlebells are used as part of competitions during "Cossack games" (usually held in October) and are recognized as the old training modality. It is interesting to see that in US and parts of Europe kettlebells are viewed as a modern fad by some, but here they are the "old man" tool, outdated almost.

Kettlebell - гиря (gyria, but most people here already know that ;)
Snatch - ривок (ryvok)
Squat - присідання (prysidannia)
Press - жим (zhym)
Deadlift - тяга/станова тяга (tiaga/stanova tiaga)
Pullup - підтягування (pidtiaguvannia)
Jerk - поштовх (poshtovkh)
Long cycle - довгий цикл (dovgyi tsykl)
Swings - мах (mah), but it is a clumsy translation. There is no word for it as it has not historically existed seperate from other KB moves. Those who practice girevoy sport call this "підрив" (pidryv), but it is not done in a hardstyle manner.
Getup - підйом (pidyom). Literal translation since this was also a rarely used exercise.
Cleans - there is no word for it as it is historically only done in terms of other exercises. Closest is "підйом" (pidyom) or "фіксація" (fiksatsia) as this is how the position of cleaning the bar to the chest is called.

Fun stuff (these guys are from my alma mater):

Ukrainian versions. Kettlebells are used as part of competitions during "Cossack games" (usually held in October) and are recognized as the old training modality. It is interesting to see that in US and parts of Europe kettlebells are viewed as a modern fad by some, but here they are the "old man" tool, outdated almost.

Snatch - ривок (ryvok)
Press - жим (zhym)
Swings - мах (mah), but it is a clumsy translation. There is no word for it as it has not historically existed seperate from other KB moves. Those who practice girevoy sport call this "підрив" (pidryv), but it is not done in a hardstyle manner.
Getup - підйом (pidyom). Literal translation since this was also a rarely used exercise.
Cleans - there is no word for it as it is historically only done in terms of other exercises. Closest is "підйом" (pidyom) or "фіксація" (fiksatsia) as this is how the position of cleaning the bar to the chest is called.

I thought that clean would be "vzyatie v stojku"?

Snatch - ривок (ryvok)
Press - жим (zhym)

This video is great! And it should put to rest the thread on the best pants to wear while training...

I thought that clean would be "vzyatie v stijku"?
It can (although that's russian, ukrainian would be slightly different "vziattia v stoiku"). When reading some rules for kettlebell competitions I often saw the word "fiksatsia" used. And if about barbell then "pidyom na grudy".

Either way, they all imply that this a transitional phase within another sports movement while at StrongFirst it is viewed as a standalone move which may or may not be coupled with a press or squat, etc.

It can (although that's russian, ukrainian would be slightly different "vziattia v stoiku"). When reading some rules for kettlebell competitions I often saw the word "fiksatsia" used. And if about barbell then "pidyom na grudy".

Either way, they all imply that this a transitional phase within another sports movement while at StrongFirst it is viewed as a standalone move which may or may not be coupled with a press or squat, etc.

Not related, but...

...one thing I always wanted to know is how widespread kettlebells really are in Russia or Ukraine or generally in post-Soviet countries?

During the Soviet era they were really the tool of choice for strength training for a regular man. That is not to say that every home had them, but they were common enough to not raise any questions. Let's just say, if you said "2 pood gyria", everybody would know what you are talking about :)

However, this was probably partially responsible for the decline in popularity kettlebells suffered immediately after Soviet collapse, because they became almost synonymous with that period. Everybody strived to emulate the west and the west was all about machines, bench presses and curls. There were no kettlebells in sight and that only further solidified the impression that they were an old outdated useless product of the communist regime. Nowadays people who visit me are not just surprised, but shocked sometimes to see my "courage corner". Why would I buy such a "one-dimensional", as they see it, tool. Good thing they don't know how much time and money I spent on getting them (for example, a 40kg bell is just simply not sold here at all! Nowhere, I searched everything. I had to order one custom made just for me and shipped from another city).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom