all posts post new thread

Old Forum Work 80 hours a week / what program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

redsvt

First Post
I work 80+ hours a week, 45 of those sat at a desk, the remainder somewhat physical, walk around, move and lift items. In the spare time I have,  I am looking to maximize my time and the efficiency of my workout. My work out days are Saturday and Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. These days are the only ones I have any open time. I have done PTTP, ETK, S&S and also Rippetoes Starting Strength. I have kettle bells all the from 16 to 32kg. I have a Rouge squat rack and plates up to 500 lbs total, barbells and a trap bar.

I am suffering from workout amnesia...I start a program, then in two to three weeks find myself mixing in other movements. Example I will start S&S then mix in ladders of ETK, and I end up doing a complete ETK workout with pull ups and finish off with S&S. My goals are basic, increase strength, and look good naked. Ia m overweight, but that is due to my diet and sitting on my a#@ all day, so I know what needs to change there.

I feel that I am not doing enough, hence my mixing and matching programs. What advice and guidance can you fine folks provide, and steer me in the right direction.

Is this a long-term situation, working 80+ hours per week?  That doesn't sound healthy.

The most time-efficient, bang-for-the-buck training I've ever done is 2-3 minutes of non-stop kettlebell swings, switching hands every 5-10 reps.  I'd consider that for you, or do S&S if you have the time but don't change it.  Don't change it - fix your diet if you want to weigh less.

-S-

The work situation is certainly not long term, I do it to give me balance, 45 sat on my a#@, 30 moving around. I figure another 12 months max, as the merger we are beginning will be complete. So I will stay with simple & sinister, as I do have time to include it in my days.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in the same boat, Greg- same hours but very physical work. I was also all over the place regarding training.

Set some definite goals, and choose the most appropriate program and stick with it. I think Steve's recommendation to stick with S&S is spot on, as it fills your needs efficiently, and you have indicated that you can perform it. Once your workload eases a bit, then you could start exploring other programs, till then, stay the course.

I find myself in a similar situation work wise! 70+ hours a week as a paramedic.

i found linear progression strength programs too taxing but had good results with ETK PM.  I'm currently half way through the 40 day program with deadlift, military press, curls, swings and ab walk-outs and it is also working well for me in maintaining strength while cutting some weight (20 days in and 12 lbs lighter)at the end of 40 days will switch to S&S till I reach simple standards.

I find setting goals and sticking with a program for maybe 8 to 12 weeks helps me to stay focused.

I also find that sticking with a program for a set time teaches me discipline and training becomes a habit which in turn makes life easier.

In my mind constantly jumping between programs shows a lack of discipline and without discipline I won't meet my goals  but in consciously sticking with the program or diet or  life long learning or progression at work I keep achieving and bettering myself.

just try sticking with S&S for 8-12 weeks and report back with your progress.

Greg,

Great advice so far ... to add: your goals point to your nutrition being most the important item here, as Steve said.  Eating is probably 90% of the puzzle when it comes to body recomp.  Read that again ... you can't "burn fat" through increased activity in the context of poor nutrition.  So let's square this away first.

Since your goals are also not performance-based (save for general strength gain) I see no reason to try and swim up current to your personality while you focus a lot of energy on eating properly - did I mention diet?

So, plan on doing something for two weeks and switch.  This natural free-style training can support your goals.  Just generally trend up, i.e., heavier swings, get ups, deadlifts, presses, etc.  Do S&S for 2 weeks, switch to ETK ladders, hit a DL & press cycle, etc.  Save your energy for work and diet right now.

Make sure you're sleeping well, and say, "I love you" to your wife / family twice per day while you're "killing it" at your professional life.

Good luck.

-Al

I am suffering from workout amnesia…I start a program, then in two to three weeks find myself mixing in other movements.
I am in a similar situation -- I work 60-hour work weeks sitting at a computer (ongoing for the last 7 years, sadly), have 3 school age kids, and I'm in the middle of a MA program -- and so have bounced around from program to program.  As a result of the bouncing around, and because of my reduced recovery capacity (who has time to sleep?), I haven't made the gains I'd like.  I recently decided to stop chasing the "perfect" program, and stick with S&S as written until at least the end of the summer, since my tendency to tweak and adjust the programs has directly resulted in getting basically nowhere. I'm focusing my energy on doing S&S every day, since I know I can recover from it even with the limited amount of sleep I get and amount of work I have to do, and not having to expend any time and energy on adjusting my program has been psychologically freeing.

So my suggestion would be to commit to a program that will fit into your hectic work schedule, still allow you to recover, and, most importantly, not compromise your gains or your job performance.

Greg- I like what Al said.  If you can't stick with one program, it makes sense to me.  Focus on some improvements over time in multiple areas.

But I like what Darren said better, if you can stick with one program that is.  Maybe induce some focus by setting some big goals like doing S&S by the book with the 32kg, 40kg, or 48kg and giving it your all during ~25-30min during the 4 days per week you can train [that's how long it takes me to get through S&S when focused].

I know I might be crossing a line here by suggesting this but have you considered a high intensity once a week program? Anyone else here try something like that?

Once per week didn't work for me. Just not enough stimulus. Might work if you're only chasing strength but even then its not optimal, and that's if it works. Best gains for me have always been 3-4 days. Also, Greg indicated he was after fat loss as well as strength, so the more sessions he can do the better.

Adding to earlier responses: I tried freestyle training, and didn't get much out of them other than working out. I have definite goals in increasing strength and I wasn't getting stronger. I found myself less enthusiastic about trying to make kettlebell training work and was gravitating towards structured, periodised powerlifting training. It's only now that I'm making progress.

A lot of smart people in this thread, so here a few tricks that worked for me in loosing fat and getting strong(er) despite a dawn-till-dusk schedule for years: my problem was consistency and - when I 'slipped' - that I slipped too hard and too long.

WORKOUTS:
- Stick with S&S but have a 'fall back' solution, like a 24kg next to your bed. If you didn't do your daily S&S just do 100 swings (shadow or 1-handed) before bedtime OR the 10 TGU's. This is mentally easier and much more likely to get done. 20 swings. Brush teeth. 20 swings. Bring glass of water to bedroom. 20 sweings. Set alarm.... you get the idea. Just the rule to do 1 push up if nothing else starts to work wonders on your mentality. Build the habit first, then strengthen it.

- Give yourself a price and an un-missable goal: once I've done S&S for 100 times, I get to have/do X. This works for me, as it is not a goal that can be missed. I might not get there as fast as I'd want to, but I'll get there. I have something to look forward to.

- Commit externally: tell your wife, kid, co-workers, parents, worst enemy that you are doing this, that you are committed and why. Depending on your social taste you can add in 'post this pic of myself on FB if I don't reach X by time Z'. But beware: committing and then failing is a blow to the ego. So start by committing to very small goals (loose 5lbs etc.) and then progress. Don't announce a life change.

DIET:
- Diet: get your spouse/partner involved. If you're like me and my wife, you have a huge impact on each others' diets.

- Don't dream of too-fast weight loss: If you're like me you sit down and say "Okay, if I do X, Y and Z to the letter I can shed 4 pounds s week". Not happening with your schedule. Discipline is not the answer: willpower is a finite resource and you deplete it with work (and almost everything else). Be okay with the fact that this might take months or years. You have the time. This kept me from panicking once i slipped, which was my main reason to change workouts and diets all the time. Patience.

- Keep a food diary. This, started to be a very self-regulating factor for me: I could eat whatever I wanted, I just had to write it down. When it becomes "Monday-Pizza", "Tuesday-pizza", "Wednesday-Pizza" you start to make the changes naturally, but without the tricky landscape of planning and 'no Pizza!"-rules that cut into your confidence if you slip.

Good luck!

/Ulrik

Ulrik,

I agree with the behavior modification and habit forming tips that you mentioned.

-Al

Another habit forming method that works for me is to plan your training ahead on a calendar. Take a few minutes and write your sets, weight and reps on a calendar in blue or black ink. After your session, write in what you actually did in red, or use a nice big check mark. Once a pattern develops, the sight of the completed efforts and upcoming sessions is quite motivating.

@all replies, great feedback and advice.

I have defined my plan, Simple and sinister four days a week; Tu/Th/Sa/Su.

Diet, clean and with will power.

Focus on keeping it simple......and sinister.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom