all posts post new thread

Nutrition work out diet with supplements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey all, I just bought a couple of dumbells and decided to start a home workout. I used to go to the gym before the pandemic, but even though gyms are still open, I prefer to give safety top priority. Before I started, I would like your advice on something that has been bugging me lately. When I used to go to the gym I followed a strict diet with well-planned workouts. Since I am starting after a couple of months, I decided on a new meal and diet plan, and also my trainer used to tell me that I lack certain protein and nutrition as there is a need for additional proteins and nutrients for our body. I looked it up and came across several articles with suggestions of taking in vitamin tablets. Will it be harmful for my body to take in such supplements? Could someone help and advise me on this?

I went HAAM on vitamins for a while and noticed zero difference to be honest. Maybe on an undetected level I was healthier (I didn’t get blood work) but I don’t know. I took the joe rogan cocktail, 5,000 vitamin d, 3,000 C, quercitin, vitamin K, and a B complex.
The only thing I think I may add back in is the vitamin D because I think most people have sub optimal levels.

the biggest thing I notice every time I switch things up is my fat intake. The more fat the better I feel (but I also do a high protein <20g carb diet so I need the fat for energy).
My best advice is to pick a plan, stick to it for a while then see how you feel. Also try an electrolyte supplement. I felt like getting more salt made me feel better as well.

@sydneyb

The best quote regarding diet I've ever heard is from Dan John -

"Here is an idea: Eat like an adult. Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid's cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and comfort foods whenever your favorite show is not on when you want it on, ease up on the snacking and—don't act like you don't know this—eat vegetables and fruits more."

....and here's another one - "Everything works.....for about 6 weeks."

@sydneyb

The best quote regarding diet I've ever heard is from Dan John -

"Here is an idea: Eat like an adult. Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid's cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and comfort foods whenever your favorite show is not on when you want it on, ease up on the snacking and—don't act like you don't know this—eat vegetables and fruits more."

....and here's another one - "Everything works.....for about 6 weeks."
1611240831192.png
Eating like this?

Last edited:
I just eat 150 - 170 grams of protein a day from real food.

At least 1 meal per day (usually lunch) will be fish protein, the rest split between other wild mammal, grass fed beef, game I've hunted, dairy, eggs, and plant sources.

Supplements: cod liver oil, dried organs, vitamin D, CBD oil, zinc, magnesium

It works well enough that I put on .7 lb of muscle / month over last 6 months at age 50.

Caveat: my grocery bill is fairly high

I struggle with daily protein intake, so I supplement with powder. my roommate kinda talked me into collagen, which I am still only testing.
I’ve noticed a significant difference in overall well-being after starting to take relatively high doses of vitamin D, magnesium and zinc daily.

I recommend creatine as one of those (few) supplements that actually does everything it's supposed to do. Even better, creatine is extensively studied, perfectly safe, widely available and cheap. They really ought to put it in the water

Yes, and I would take a homemade burger 8 days a week over a protein bar because it’s real food.

And his global point with that quote is about developing consistent healthy habits for your nutrition. Not just cherry picking 1 meal or one study that supports your claims

Last edited:
Yes, and I would take a homemade burger 8 days a week over a protein bar because it’s real food.

And his global point with that quote is about developing consistent healthy habits for your nutrition. Not just cherry picking 1 meal or one study that supports your claim.

And does this 'eating like adult' work for more than 6 weeks?

I recommend creatine as one of those (few) supplements that actually does everything it's supposed to do. Even better, creatine is extensively studied, perfectly safe, widely available and cheap. They really ought to put it in the water

Creatine definitely works, but I only use it during competition prep / competition.

Although the extra water weight is a bitch when trying to make weight.

I don't use it during the off season at all, though.

And does this 'eating like adult' work for more than 6 weeks?

I see what you did there, nice.

It doesn't matter to me if you agree with Dan John or not, but his point with that statement is to simplify all of the confusing nutrition and diet advice floating around out there.

His point is this - the body will adapt to what you are regularly doing so you need to cycle your macros to prevent hitting a plateau, especially with fat loss. He is also taking this approach because when people "go on a diet" they tend to avoid entire food groups for long periods of time out of believing some mythology they read on the web.

I see what you did there, nice.

It doesn't matter to me if you agree with Dan John or not, but his point with that statement is to simplify all of the confusing nutrition and diet advice floating around out there.

His point is this - the body will adapt to what you are regularly doing so you need to cycle your macros to prevent hitting a plateau, especially with fat loss. He is also taking this approach because when people "go on a diet" they tend to avoid entire food groups for long periods of time out of believing some mythology they read on the web.
The most effective and profound dietary advice I ever heard was:

If you need to lose weight, figure out how you got fat in the first place and stop doing that!

I currently take 5 grams of creatine, and a pre workout drink in the evening. What other supplements(if any) should I be taking that I can't receive from my daily food intake?

Creatine and caffeine are my best friends. Quality whey powder for the times I need the added protein. Your diet is the final component, I also add vitamin D and C as well, especially during winter (this winter I'm taking elderberry with zinc that can actually actively boost the immune system, taking supplements can be sensible if one's body doesn't get all or enough of the required vitamins, trace elements, etc. from food.
I keep protein powder as a backup. Use it the most when I'm cutting or have a bad diet day.

Last edited:
I went HAAM on vitamins for a while and noticed zero difference to be honest. Maybe on an undetected level I was healthier (I didn’t get blood work) but I don’t know. I took the joe rogan cocktail, 5,000 vitamin d, 3,000 C, quercitin, vitamin K, and a B complex.
The only thing I think I may add back in is the vitamin D because I think most people have sub optimal levels.

the biggest thing I notice every time I switch things up is my fat intake. The more fat the better I feel (but I also do a high protein <20g carb diet so I need the fat for energy).
My best advice is to pick a plan, stick to it for a while then see how you feel. Also try an electrolyte supplement. I felt like getting more salt made me feel better as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom