all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Working around chronic shoulder pain

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MartinJude

Level 4 Valued Member
Years ago I had a lower back injury which has mostly subsided. I have also endured modest but chronic shoulder pain for many years. Based on both of these conditions, an FMS certified trainer recommended that I avoid deadlifts and overhead exercises. He also advised stopping several inches above my chest with bench presses. I've been lifting kettlebells for nearly 20 years and love snatches. Do these recommendations ring true? I'd hate to permanently mothball snatches, clean & presses and turkish get-ups if I can avoid it. Thank you.

You need to find out what the root cause of your 'chronic shoulder pain' is before you can make any determinations about overhead work being good or bad. Seeing an FMS Trainer is good, but I would recommend seeing a sports medicine doctor who specializes in shoulders. They might suggest an MRI. Once you know the underlying reason of the issue then you and your doc can chart an appropriate course of action. It could be as simple as doing some physiotherapy, or as complicated as surgery. I realize that you are experienced in KB's, but seeking out an SFG to ensure your techniques are dialed in would be advisable too.

Welcome to SF. You will find very experienced, knowledgeable, and helpful people here; some that have gone through severe back and shoulder injuries as well...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom