all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Working on one handed swings, progression suggestions?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It seems like a viable plan to me. A simple way to vary the light and heavy is just run them as an "A" "B" program, heavy days are A, light days are B , and then just alternate. This will vary each one so that they will both cycle through two and three times per week as you progress through your schedule.

It seems like a viable plan to me. A simple way to vary the light and heavy is just run them as an "A" "B" program, heavy days are A, light days are B , and then just alternate. This will vary each one so that they will both cycle through two and three times per week as you progress through your schedule.

Great advice. Thanks!

1-hand are difficult for me even with the 24.

I think your plan sounds OK, but curious what is making the 1-hand swings difficult. Stay tight, pretend it's a 2H swing, but only have one hand on the bell... Where do you feel the most challenged?

I think your plan sounds OK, but curious what is making the 1-hand swings difficult. Stay tight, pretend it's a 2H swing, but only have one hand on the bell... Where do you feel the most challenged?

Okay, I think it's my lats. I feel like it's struggle to keep my shoulders packed and they sort of come out at the socket at the top of the swing. Once I notice this once or twice, it starts to make me self conscious duing the set and other things start to fall apart, like sometimes the bell pulls me forward a little.

This doesn't happen with the 16 at all or even the 20. I feel strong and packed the whole time.

I'm a tall guy with long arms, so I think this particular aspect of the swing is difficult for me.

Okay, I think it's my lats. I feel like it's struggle to keep my shoulders packed and they sort of come out at the socket at the top of the swing. Once I notice this once or twice, it starts to make me self conscious duing the set and other things start to fall apart, like sometimes the bell pulls me forward a little.

This doesn't happen with the 16 at all or even the 20. I feel strong and packed the whole time.

I'm a tall guy with long arms, so I think this particular aspect of the swing is difficult for me.

Yes, that makes sense.

Sometimes cuing something "undesirable" can bring something back to center of where it needs to be, and this may work for what you describe --- Try doing a "T-rex" type swing where your arm is just a bit bent at the top of the swing and you project power a little more "up" than "out/forward". Think of keeping your elbow pinned to your side. Don't worry about how high the bell goes, just keep your armpit (lats) tight and elbow in closer to your body than usual. Try first with a light bell, then heavier. Bring your non-working hand up to meet the other, touching the top of your working hand (this helps make sure you're squared off). Then bring a bit of that armpit tightness and "up" projection back to your regular swing, where your arm is straight or almost straight. Let me know if it helps!

Yes, that makes sense.

Sometimes cuing something "undesirable" can bring something back to center of where it needs to be, and this may work for what you describe --- Try doing a "T-rex" type swing where your arm is just a bit bent at the top of the swing and you project power a little more "up" than "out/forward". Think of keeping your elbow pinned to your side. Don't worry about how high the bell goes, just keep your armpit (lats) tight and elbow in closer to your body than usual. Try first with a light bell, then heavier. Bring your non-working hand up to meet the other, touching the top of your working hand (this helps make sure you're squared off). Then bring a bit of that armpit tightness and "up" projection back to your regular swing, where your arm is straight or almost straight. Let me know if it helps!
Thank you! I will definitely try this.

Don't hit the car!

@Anth, other forum members will offer their observations, too. To me, your swing is a little squatty, and you should try to get into your hips more and keep your shins closer to vertical.

-S-

Looks pretty good, really.

I agree, just a tiny bit squatty. "Hips back" and a little less knee bend. Torso movement is good though. Good set-up and swing; no major problems.

Your plank looks loose to me in both 1H and 2H swings. I wish I knew of a good video demo of this, but at most cert events there is a demo and drill we practice that really shows how tight the plank should be: One person lies on the floor on their back with one arm up and makes a fist. They get in a tight, tight plank position with a tightly packed shoulder on the arm that is up. Another person grabs their up-arm wrist with both hands and picks them up by the fist, and the whole entire person should come up off the floor like a board, with nothing moving or twisting, and only their feet touching the ground. That is how tight you should be in the plank. Try it with someone if you can. Tight quads, tight glutes, abs braced hard for a punch, shoulders packed hard.

Make coming into a tight plank the focus of your swing, and the bell's movement will be secondary (and correct).

Don't hit the car!

@Anth, other forum members will offer their observations, too. To me, your swing is a little squatty, and you should try to get into your hips more and keep your shins closer to vertical.

-S-
Okay. Thank you. When you say "get into your hips," do you mean "sit back on your hips"?

Don't worry, my wife would kill me if I hit the car, so that won't happen haha.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom