all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Working Out In The PM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BrianCF

Level 7 Valued Member
I usually do my kettlebell workouts on an empty stomach around 830 in the AM. Currently doing Easy Strength with kettlebells. Looks like this:
1. Double deadlft 70 lb bells
2 sets of 10
2. Double front squat 70 lb. bells
2 sets of 5
3. Double bent over row
2 sets of 5
4. Military Press 55 lb. Bells
2 x 5
5. Double swing outside the knees 70s. 1 x 20
6. Either Double 70 farmer carries, 5 sets of 100 paces or ab roller

Last 2 Mondays I've been extremely busy during the day and trained around 4:45 and both times, the bells felt HEAVY and though I didn't miss a rep, I felt more stiff.

I'm just finished workout #22. Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance depending on the time they train?

Interesting. I usually train mornings and I've noticed when I do train later in the day I'm more mobile and can lift more easier... But I'm dog tired the whole time.
Agreed. Over the summer I found out that running double kettlebell complexes first thing in the morning is rough for me. Moving my workouts to the afternoon/early evening works a lot better. I find that I'm more loose and mobile after walking and moving around all day.

Last edited:
I find that, among other things, my back is more tolerant to lifting more than a few hours after rising. So, I usually lift in the evening.

I lifted in the morning for years, but I kept tweaking my back. Moving my weights to the evening was one factor that made a big improvement.

Like other folks here, I just move better later in the day.

I usually do my kettlebell workouts on an empty stomach around 830 in the AM. Currently doing Easy Strength with kettlebells. Looks like this:
2 sets of 10
2 sets of 5
3. Double bent over row
2 sets of 5
2 x 5

Last 2 Mondays I've been extremely busy during the day and trained around 4:45 and both times, the bells felt HEAVY and though I didn't miss a rep, I felt more stiff.

I'm just finished workout #22. Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance depending on the time they train?
Always better for me in early am, but guessing I could adapt over time if I changed my sleep cycle.

Yes, definitely. If it’s grinds then I have to leave them to the PM. With ballistics I generally can complete in the morning. I can walk, do LISS etc with only coffee but anything more taxing I’ll need some food in me…. Def could not do HIT or complexes in the AM either..

2 sets of 10
2 sets of 5
3. Double bent over row
2 sets of 5
2 x 5

I prefer to do my training first thing. I usually have to go a bit lighter and warm up better to ensure I'm good to go. The best time for me is between 1000-1400. Anything after 1400 and it's pretty much a wash for me. I want to get it done first thing so I can go about my day. While going a bit lighter might seem counter productive for some, for me it keeps me from doing something stupid with a heavier weight I might not be ready for at 0400-0500.

I normally train in the mornings just because that’s when I have time and it’s normally pretty early to around 4 AM. I have noticed that if I work out with a meal in my system in the afternoon I normally feel stronger. But I like training fasted better and I like the way I feel after a workout in the morning and a quick sauna session, and very quick cold plunge to cool down (I know it can inhibit hypertrophy but I go quick) it just says my day off right and I feel amazing for hours. Also if I work out past 4 o’clock I’m one of those people who has issues sleeping. It’s just messes up my whole sleep cycle if I work out in the evening I’m also one of those people that if I have caffeine after 12 I can’t sleep. When I’m up early at 3:45 and working out at four I have no problem going to sleep after a full day of work and dealing with my kids after work

I haven't done any type of training first thing in the morning in several years. I used to all the time, but my internal clock seems to have changed. I'm useless before 8:00.

I'm at my best around midday, but Im less encumbered between 9 and 10 pm, which is when I train. Usually in bed by 11:30, and the training doesn't seem to affect my ability to get to sleep. This is strength and cardio (running for me). I get a second (more likely third wind) at about 8 pm. Kids are in bed, and I'm ready to train. Get it in, cool down for an hour or so, and am off to sleep in no time.

@BrianCF, I think the most important factor is what you’re used to. Kind of like jet lag if you always lift in the AM and then you have to lift in the PM, or vice versa. I lift when I have times to do so in my teaching schedule so my times vary. My personal preference is, as you might expect, the time when I usually have breaks in my teaching schedule, which is early afternoon most days.

-S-

During the week, I train after work and before dinner. Sometimes if it's light work I can do it after dinner. Saturday is squat day and I train around noon and have a late lunch. Sundays, if I lift, it's light work at Planet Fitness and I can do that anytime.

Light work and cardio I can do anytime - I just have to make myself do it. Heavier stuff, I prefer noon to early evening.

Sundays, if I lift, it's light work at Planet Fitness and I can do that anytime.

I'm curious what your preferred exercises are at PF.

I don't have a membership, but I've thought of getting one (and I'm being serious) to do hamstring curls.

I decided I should give Nordic curls a serious go first, though.

(Nordics are super frustrating, though)

I’m retired yet I still wake around 4 a.m. Presently train at a CrossFit gym 10:30 a.m. open gym time so it’s not really training in the a.m. it’s a great place.

Early works outs can be made better if you have time by having a small breakfast a regular bowel movement, and being hydrated and replacing electrolytes. Warm up can be hanging , rocking and coffee and beta alanine to get core temperature up.

Just wanted to chime in by stating the obvious I appreciate the SF forum.

I'm curious what your preferred exercises are at PF.

I don't have a membership, but I've thought of getting one (and I'm being serious) to do hamstring curls.

I decided I should give Nordic curls a serious go first, though.

(Nordics are super frustrating, though)
PF is great. They even have kettlebells! Up to 30 lb. They do have a 28kg at my gym.

I do dips, machine chest press, lat pulldowns. rows, straight arm lat pulldowns, tricep and bicep machine. I'll do the StairMaster, and run on the treadmill.

It's great to see people. I don't need to isolate myself in the courage room every day.

On a normal day I am usually strongest between 4:30 and 6:00 PM.

However, sometimes life and work get hectic. And on those days, my strength levels are much lower during late afternoon or evening. I just don't have enough focus left to really express my strength. I try to compensate by easy breath work during rests ,etc.

If at all possible, I often split my sessions: first half before lunch and second half before dinner.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom