all posts post new thread

Old Forum Working through a TGU weak point

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Derrick

Level 1 Valued Member
Before I started S&S, I was capable of "doing" alternating TGUs with the 32kg for 5/side. When I started S&S, I decided I was going to closely follow the book, take a slow natural progression, and strive for perfect form.

When I analyzed my TGU form, I found that I was rushing the "to elbow" stage because I was weak there. So I worked the 16kg for a long time and tried to plug up all my leaks before moving on to the 24kg. Now I've been doing the 24kg for a long time and they are easy and smooth. I passed the 10 minute goal months ago and started working in one set of the 32kg.

But the "to elbow" problem has reared its head again, on the left side. I have some scoliosis, which makes certain movements easier on one side and other movements harder. Going to elbow is one of those harder movements.

Some days, the weight goes up smoothly, on other days the "to elbow" part of the TGU is a struggle and my off-leg leaves the floor, then on some days I can't get to the elbow at all (without using momentum, like I was before S&S). I've stuck with one set of 32kg since I cannot smoothly perform the movement with regularity.

What should I do to work through this? The rest of my TGU is solid, controlled and smooth. It's this one step, on my left side, that is holding me back.

This is a very common issue, especially once the weight gets heavy. There are several different fixes I use, depending on the person. Ideally, see an SFG instructor if you can; if not, post a video here, and you'll get lots of good feedback and advice. One thing that seems to help almost everyone is to think about pushing the foot hard into the floor, and think about the direction of that push going not straight down, or up, but diagonally towards the opposite shoulder.

I have the same issue--including upper back and hip imbalances.

Keep working on your form. Make sure your entire torso is turning as a unit and you are focusing on rolling rather than sitting up... dig your off-hand elbow into the floor. Also, 'reach out' with your straight leg, this should help keep it from flying up. Minor cues but helpful for most people; hard to say more without a video.

I asked a similar question when moving up to the 24 - basically I couldn't get it up, as the actress said to the bishop. Steve Friedes responded with a really useful cue that you visualise a rope connected to you chest which is pulling you from a corner at 45 degrees, which initiates a roll as Aris described above. Really helped me as I couldn't get the move down at all.

^ The 'rope from the sternum' cue helped me as well. Derrick, if possible--

1. Work with an SFG. Eric (Gahan) really helped tune up my tgu form.

2. Teach the getup to a beginner. Something like this, teaching it (once you've got a decent handle on it already, of course) will definitely help you understand it even better.

The fact that you have made the proper progression from 16kg to 24kg is a positive.  I would keep working with the tgu with the 32kg and see what happens.  The scoliosis could definitely be an issue as well and something to deal with.

pressing the heel down on that extended leg, bracing of the abdominal wall and strong steady push of breath out of the mouth (not all of my breath but a good strong streaming exhale) is something I use at that early stage to keep good form.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom