all posts post new thread

Old Forum working up vs warming up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

edisto

Level 1 Valued Member
Everyone likes to hear what they believe, and I was quickly convinced after reading PTTP that I didn't need warmups. I almost never did them anyway, and only did them then for fear that if I hurt myself, I'd get laughed for not doing so.

In my last series, I was lifting one set of 5, then backing off 10% and doing as many sets of 5 as possible. For bench and squat, I just got under the bar and lifted. For deadlift I would do one lighter pull, just for the psychological benefit (e.g., when I did my 5RM of 380 lbs, I lifted 345 once first).

Once I finish the DeLorme from Beyond Bodybuilding (another reason to hate Mondays), I want to try the Steinberg approach (in PTTP Professional)to "specialized variety", i.e., "work up to a heavy triple or 5" for the assistance, then do singles with the regular lift.

My first thought was just do the one set of 5, and then the singles, but after seeing "work up to" in other programs I am interested in from PTTP Professional I am starting to think I'll be missing some necessary volume that isn't just there for "warming up".

I found in the Q&A in Beyond Bodybuilding that "working up" is sets of the same reps, so not light weight and high reps, but it still sounds a lot like a warmup to me, and I was very glad to dump the whole notion of warming up.

If it is a volume issue, could I just add some sets of 5 with the same weight?

I am 51, thus my biggest issue is just getting the ole body moving.  I guess the new "idea"is that static stretching is not good prior to exercise, but dyadic is OK, and that a 5 min warm up of the muscles seems to make since.  I have a love/haye relationship with the warm up.  Thus I warm up, usually 50% of a lift for 5, 75% for 3 and 85% or so for 1.  I also do some dynamic stretching for troubled areas, for example I always do a combination of 100 band pull apart, band dislocates, and face pulls.  I don't do them all at once, but through my workout.  This has really helped nagging shoulder issues.

I am trying to come up with something similar for hips, I usually do front kicks, side kicks, butt kicks, high knees, and hack sacks, but the mobility and flexability, and general stiffness is still there in the hips.  On non leg days I am trying to just sit into a squat for as long as possible, I think Kelly Starret recommends 10 min.  If I just did this daily and worked up to 10 min, hip flexability/tightness would probably be gone:)

If anyone has a favorite knocked dead hip routine please post.

Ido Portal squat routine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI

Usually a general warm up precedes the specific waem up where you work up to your work set. this is standard for pretty much powerlifting programs and definitely true for all weightlifting programs. Not to work up to your work set is rather the exception.

The idea is not to tire the body so you would low reps (1-3) but to prime the body and the nervous system for a top effort. Same is done in competition.

Thanks Leon. That's pretty much what I as thinking. It makes sense to me for doubles and singles, but doesn't seem quite as necessary when the work set is going to be 5 reps.

Well, it is common practice among lifters to work up to a top set no matter whether its 8 reps, 5 reps or 1 rep. Most people feel it is necessary to prepare the body and the nervous system.

Of course, people like to participate in challenges and lift a big weight without warmup. Often the same people regret it later. In addition to being safer it allows often to lift more when you work up.

Personally I prefer to play safe and can't imagine to do a heavy snatch cold. Maybe try it and see for yourself.

I wouldn't try a snatch cold or warm!

It isn't about the challenge, it's just what works for me. I mistakenly attributed the philosophy about skipping the warmup to PTTP, it's actually in Beyond Stretching, and is based on research by Judd Biasiotto.

Either way, the point was not to debate whether or not one should warmup...that's going to vary from person to person. What I was wanting to know was how best to apply "working up" to Steinberg's approach to "specialized variety" for someone that doesn't warm up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom