all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Workout Design Interest

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@305pelusa
Wat about Barstarzz (I admit some filters among their video are required) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Oh I didn't really consider them. I admit I don't follow them at all. I'll see what's up with them.

I looked into Dominic Sky's channel, and thought it was all right. He's the same as he always has been (a bunch of crazy, dangerous, cool-looking feats). Not sure how much I can get from him.

Hello,

@305pelusa
There is also a channel called "KinoYoga" on youtube. She explains lots of strength / flexibility moves, and skills (such as handstand, differents balance moves, etc...)

Another channel, TrainingPal

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would be interested in the write up as well. I plan on going to a body weight/calisthenics route after I reach simple. Has anyone hear reached simple and kept it while integrating body weight workouts? Once I reach simple I do not want to lose it.

Hello,

@Wesker11
This is possible to maintain Simple using 2 or 3 sessions a week.

My "option": starting with 3 sessions a week, using heavy weights. However, not looking for hitting the standards (time) each time. A test from time to time is enough. Always keeping in mind that we can not maintain peak performance everytime.

During the other training days, you can do bodyweight training. What I did was:
Mon. => S&S Heavy
Tue. => Swings + bodyweight
Wed. => S&S Heavy
Thu. => Swings + bodyweight
Fri. => S&S Heavy
Sat. => Swings + bodyweight
Sun. => rest / active recovery

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, I love everything Aleks has done. I did his BW program he posted on the StrongFirst site last summer and it was really great. Super easy to communicate with (so nice!) and ask questions.

I have REALLY liked the ES template I've been using for a couple of reasons. One, it keeps me in check. If I don't have a solid plan that lets me go to the gym everyday, I go off the rails and hurt myself. At 42, it's getting harder to recover! From start to finish takes about 1 hr and 20, which is a perfect daily dose for me. And, I can do this WO at home or the gym, because at home I might modify load/volume based on a KB I are avaialble. With two small children, I need to have that flexibility.

What I've been doing for the past few months is a warmup with shoulder shrugs, light pulls, goblets, hack squats, and lately arm bars. Really like those. Then I do 100 swings S&S style. I just started swinging the 24k 1H the past couple of weeks! Then I do weighted pullups, OAPU variations, weighted pistols (was doing double KB front squats before), weighted single leg DL, loaded carry of some sort, and HLR. I then finish up with handstands and yoga stuff. Feeling so much more solid on all the moves and gone up with weight very naturally. Built a little muscle along the way, which is a little annoying since pants are fitting differently! Also, volume is a concern for my elbows and knees and no problems so far. So, rest/recovery feels balanced and I take ~30 min walks at lunch most days.

Go to the SF BW cert in Seattle in a couple of weeks-very excited. I won't have my OAPU down, but getting there. SOmething I wish I has done differently the past few months is not working on elevations, I've been doing what you suggested and using my other hand to support, and it feels like more engagement and progress can be made. We shall see!

Kristen - I look forward to meeting you in Seattle. You will learn many progressions, many people make great progress using elevations but some like the planche hand progression better. Look forward to chatting this weekend.

Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low is really good.
+1 to Overcoming Gravity. Volume 2 is a big improvement on Volume 1 but mostly in terms of clarity. The overall gist of the training program is the same in both. I've also read Al Kavadlo's Raising the Bar, which was great. Sounds like @305pelusa is already familiar with both of those authors, so I'm not giving you anything you don't know. Low's book will keep you coming back to it repeatedly, there is so much information in it.

But I would definitely be interested in anything you could put together that would encapsulate the vast quantity of quality BW material out there. And thanks in advance!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom