all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Workout (routine) that can be done once or multiple times per week?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stefan Olsson

Level 4 Valued Member
So, right now Im in no mans land currently doing IPD (One Program per Day, thank you Dan John :D) with no structure or idea where to go next.

I want to do a program that you can do once or seven times per week. Like S&S in that sense but with excercises and vareity. Just plugging away at two excercises is nothing for my restless mind. I cant workout say mon-wen-fri... if I get a possibility to work on tuesday i need to be able to do that. I guess it need to be auto regulated and hit the whole body each time for no start my ADD.

I know that when I follow a program with presses I always miss the good ól push-ups, knowing its good for me. When doing a program with push-ups I miss the fun of putting weights over head.

So far I´ve been eying Super Simple Strength
Here is an example of what this may look like:

Day 1: Squats x 10, Pushups x 5 for 10 minutes. Then Overhead Carries x 10 minutes.

Day 2: Kettlebell Swings x 10, Pull-ups x 3 for 10 minutes. Then Backward Leopard Crawl x 10 minutes.

Day 3: Bodyweight Getups, or Formal Turkish Get-ups, for 10 minutes. Then Goblet Carries x 10 minutes.

Day 4: rest

Rinse and repeat with the same movements, or similar movements, or mix it up.

The other program is The Best and Simplest One Kettlebell Workout
With the following single kettlebell workout, you can work on all your strength movements in one session with 2-6 sets of 3-8 reps. Each movement provides an adequate amount of rest for the next item in the superset. The finisher, which consists of swings and planks or pushups is a great way to add some cardiovascular work as well as some extra core/arm training.

Superset the exercises below for 2-6 rounds:

Press (up to 80% effort)
Row (up to 80% effort)
Squat (front squat or goblet squat)

Then perform kettlebell swings and planks (or pushups) for 2-5 sets

Together, this workout covers all the main strength movement categories:
Upper Push (press and/or pushups)
Upper Pull (rows)
Lower Push (squats)
Lower Pull (swings)

Part of the reason that programs generally work well is that they provide workouts which are already designed for you. If you struggle to think of what you should do at the gym, you’re less likely to do as much work–or any at all! It’s very helpful to at least have a go-to workout in your collection.

And lastly More Muscle in 10 Minutes A Day
  1. All you need is a heavy kettlebell and a doorway pull-up bar to add some serious muscle.
  2. Alternate between the swing/pull-up and goblet squat/one-arm push-up combo 4 times each day. It'll only take 10 minutes each day.
  3. With HFT (High Frequency Training), you don't need to train with balls-to-the-wall intensity every workout to stimulate muscle growth. Just add circuits into your current training plan and get ready to add lean body mass across your upper body and legs.
  1. Example of first week
    • Monday: Primary workout in the morning, SOP circuit for 2 rounds in the evening
    • Tuesday: GHO circuit for 2 rounds at any time
    • Wednesday: Primary workout in the morning
    • Thursday: RDI circuit for 2 rounds at any time
    • Friday: Primary workout in the morning
    • Saturday: SOP circuit for 2 rounds at any time
    • Sunday: Off

Have I missed any programs? Which one would you choose?

I dont have any specific goals other than I want to be able to satisfy my training need swhen I can (life, energy etc.), I cant follow a structured program as stated above. A punch the clock type of workout. One could argue that "well ... do whatever you want".. but thats a little to loose for my likings .. some sort of structure is needed.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at Novocaine

I'd be looking at Novocaine
Thank you for your suggestion. I have only access to KB´s (2x16, 2x20, 2x24, 1x32), Pull-up bar, High parallettes.
I have looked at that program but for me it would revolve around swings which my body is not a fan of. In small doses, yes. But not that much. Im looking for more vareity.

Q&D.

Lots of variability built in. You can do snatches, double cleans, or swings/pushups. You can vary the volume from 40 reps to 100+ (do a long session if it's the only one for the week, and plug in short sessions if you're doing it frequently. You can even vary the load and rep schemes to do 5/2 (or any appropriate number between 5-10) with a heavier weight, 10/2 or 5/4 with you base weight, or 15/2 (or any appropriate number between 10-15) with a lighter weight.

Throw in a few sets of front squats or hack squats and pullups, and you're covering a lot of ground.

There are also the freestyle training guidelines in the original RKC book.

Q&D.

Lots of variability built in. You can do snatches, double cleans, or swings/pushups. You can vary the volume from 40 reps to 100+ (do a long session if it's the only one for the week, and plug in short sessions if you're doing it frequently. You can even vary the load and rep schemes to do 5/2 (or any appropriate number between 5-10) with a heavier weight, 10/2 or 5/4 with you base weight, or 15/2 (or any appropriate number between 10-15) with a lighter weight.

Throw in a few sets of front squats or hack squats and pullups, and you're covering a lot of ground.

There are also the freestyle training guidelines in the original RKC book.
Q&D is probably the only book from Pavel which I dont own.. Yet. Im catious against a swing centric program. My Lower back is very sensitive to overuse patterns.

What about something like following two programs on alternate days? I, for example, do KTB Red Zone on day A, S&S on day B. I always have a day off after day A and sometimes I do TGU only on day B. This allows me to train 3 to 5 times a week.
I focus on Red Zone part, S&S are my light or medium days. I don't really push myself on those days.
IMHO combining S&S with Naked warrior is another good option - you have hinge, squat, full ROM push and getup included.

I confess I cannot keep up with the variety of offerings from @Geoff Neupert except to say that they're all good at helping you achieve their stated objectives, and I recall he had something offered a year's worth of programming. Perhaps someone here can post a link and/or a brief description?

-S-

Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell WOD program:

My wife made significant progress on this. She really struggled with the monotony of S&S. This has tonnes of variety but it's programmed progressively.

The way it's structured makes it pretty easy to stack days if you can't do five days per week occasionally.

Progresses from the basics with a single bell to doubles and eventually several weeks of very challenging Neupert-style double bell complexes.

Last edited:
Here's an approach to consider. I had a lot of success stacking my goal workout on top of random exercise. I did it both with Naked Warrior and Convict Conditioning.

15 minutes - strength goals - do whatever sets and reps it takes to progress towards your goals. For me, it was usually abs, push-ups, rows, lunges and swings.
45 minutes - go to youtube and load some follow-along workouts. I would do kettlbell, TRX and calisthenics cardio workouts.

I found this helped me work towards my strength goals, kept me stimulated and got me in terrific condition for returning to martial arts.

But given your time constraints, you might alternate the following:

Day 1 - strength goals

Day 2 - fun workout

I confess I cannot keep up with the variety of offerings from @Geoff Neupert except to say that they're all good at helping you achieve their stated objectives, and I recall he had something offered a year's worth of programming. Perhaps someone here can post a link and/or a brief description?

-S-

My wife made significant progress on this. She really struggled with the monotony of S&S. This has tonnes of variety but it's programmed progressively.

The way it's structured makes it pretty easy to stack days if you can't do five days per week occasionally.

Progresses from the basics with a single bell to doubles and eventually several weeks of very challenging Neupert-style double bell complexes.
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually own KB WOD but have never done it ... this got me thinking if I should?

What about something like following two programs on alternate days? I, for example, do KTB Red Zone on day A, S&S on day B. I always have a day off after day A and sometimes I do TGU only on day B. This allows me to train 3 to 5 times a week.
I focus on Red Zone part, S&S are my light or medium days. I don't really push myself on those days.
IMHO combining S&S with Naked warrior is another good option - you have hinge, squat, full ROM push and getup included.
Thank you. Two great programs. Unfortunately swings plays a major part which is no option for me.

Thank you. Two great programs. Unfortunately swings plays a major part which is no option for me.
What about a combo with half the amount of swings?

I like the simplicity and adaptability of Super Simple Strength. Choose whatever pull-push-squat-hinge you want, even TGUs then do carries (any type you want) or crawling. The possibilities are endless when taking regressions/progressions/variants into account. You can even make it more strength or conditioning oriented depending on the weight you chose and rest periods.

-S-
I'm not sure if he still sells it, but he did have a years worth of kettlebell programming for sale at one point. It went from simple swings to some pretty intense doubles work. I think it was called kettlebell WOD or something.

I'm not sure if he still sells it, but he did have a years worth of kettlebell programming for sale at one point. It went from simple swings to some pretty intense doubles work. I think it was called kettlebell WOD or something.
Yes that's the link I posted earlier. I've edited my post to show the name so it's more clear.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom