all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Workout (routine) that can be done once or multiple times per week?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Stefan Olsson - Have you taken the time to address the issues causing your lower back/swings issues?

If not, that would be highly valuable. I've done this several times through the years myself.
Gonna bump this up..

I also got the exact same recommendation from Geoff himself on a few occasions. Spend 4-6 weeks in between tough seasons fixing the gaps in your armor

@Stefan Olsson - Have you taken the time to address the issues causing your lower back/swings issues?

If not, that would be highly valuable. I've done this several times through the years myself.

I have not. My wife has told me to see a physioterapeut many times but after a while the pain subsides and I move on .. few months later its back. Perhaps it time now, I not getting younger.

Another shout out for strength aerobics/iron cardio. Can be done one day a week or seven, for ten minutes or thirty. Base routine of clean, press and front squat. Or you can add snatches or pull ups. My go to routine when life happens...

Squat every (training) day is my choice when I don't know what to do.
You choose a lift, set a time to train (20 minutes-2 hours) and practice it. Ladder, set of 5... doesn't matter. Play with stance/hand placement, tempo,..It's great way to have fun without moving too far from strength training

Im to Old to Instagram.
Well there is an ebook forthcoming.

But I'll surmise this much.

----------------

Imagine your routine is like this.

Prepare a stopwatch.

Grab a bell that you can press overhead. But is challenging. Maybe 10 reps or less max.

At 0:00, with left hand, clean press and squat with the bell in the rack. Set it down.

At 0:30, with the right hand, clean press and squat with the bell in the rack. Set it down.

Keep going like that as long as you can. Maybe 20-40 minutes.

This is how I do it, and where I'm headed is to forgo the timer for reference.

----------------

Another day try the same routine without waiting for the timer. Now you're in it. Hopefully your timing is on or about 1:1 work to rest. But let the rest compress naturally.

It's very interesting.

I've found that I prefer to just work with my heaviest bell 40kg and just do c&j EMOM for about 20 minutes. That's a great day for me.

And another one. Just try snatching 1 rep EMOM trading hands every 30 or on the minute, depending on how your grip feels. And if you're feeling like your body needs more maybe every 5 sets you add a second rep to see how it goes. And maybe build up to every 4th. Then 3rd. Then every other. Until you're snatching 2 reps every set.

There seems to be a range of work rest ratio, from around 1:1, to 1:2 for this style of training to really shine. But I bet 1:3 would still get some of the training effects. But you wanna let those rest periods naturally compress.

And then start mixing up the lifts to your hearts content on different days.

----------------

I put a bunch of info in there. I hope it helps you try it out. this routine has sustained me for many months, and I need to get back to it after this strength shortcuts experiment or use it in my strength shortcuts.

It's a great all around mode of training. One way I intend to treat it is to use it as a compromise to include some cardio. It helps fill in a lot of gaps in my day to my day life.

Climbing stairs, carrying kids, both at the same time. It's great.

Last edited:
Another shout out for strength aerobics/iron cardio. Can be done one day a week or seven, for ten minutes or thirty. Base routine of clean, press and front squat. Or you can add snatches or pull ups. My go to routine when life happens...
+1, and you can run it with dbl's. C-P-SQ,SN which I'll run for 10 reps each, set down rest a few minutes , repeat, 5 rounds

So, right now Im in no mans land currently doing IPD (One Program per Day, thank you Dan John :D) with no structure or idea where to go next.

I want to do a program that you can do once or seven times per week. Like S&S in that sense but with excercises and vareity. Just plugging away at two excercises is nothing for my restless mind. I cant workout say mon-wen-fri... if I get a possibility to work on tuesday i need to be able to do that. I guess it need to be auto regulated and hit the whole body each time for no start my ADD.

I know that when I follow a program with presses I always miss the good ól push-ups, knowing its good for me. When doing a program with push-ups I miss the fun of putting weights over head.

So far I´ve been eying Super Simple Strength

The other program is The Best and Simplest One Kettlebell Workout

And lastly More Muscle in 10 Minutes A Day

Have I missed any programs? Which one would you choose?

I dont have any specific goals other than I want to be able to satisfy my training need swhen I can (life, energy etc.), I cant follow a structured program as stated above. A punch the clock type of workout. One could argue that "well ... do whatever you want".. but thats a little to loose for my likings .. some sort of structure is needed.
What im doing at the moment is what ive actually stuck with the longest in yrs.

Im doing fullbody push pull legs 3x a week but you could do it once or 5 times just less sets and vary the excersises
I do ABABAB Alternate
A pullups pushups squats core
B Dips rows hinge core

I change between pullups chinups narrow or wide grip etc
standard push-ups ring pushups incline close grip etc
Squats reverse lunge walking lunge etc
I do use a weight for squats lunges and rdls or single leg dl

I never get bored as i can literally do what ever push pull leg excercises i feel like that day.
I do 4 sets of each, i normally superset the push pull to save time.
If im not feeling it I'll stop at 2 sets each or 3.

Last edited:
What im doing at the moment is what ive actually stuck with the longest in yrs.

Im doing fullbody push pull legs 3x a week but you could do it once or 5 times just less sets and vary the excersises
I do ABABAAB Alternate
A pullups pushups squats core
B Dips rows hinge core

I change between pullups chinups narrow or wide grip etc
standard push-ups ring pushups incline close grip etc
Squats reverse lunge walking lunge etc
I do use a weight for squats lunges and rdls or single leg dl

I never get bored as i can literally do what ever push pull leg excercises i feel like that day.
I do 4 sets of each, i normally superset the push pull to save time.
If im not feeling it I'll stop at 2 sets each or 3.
I like it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Something I ran a couple of days ago. SA/IC with a # 26, Cl-P-SQ-Sn, keep the bell off the ground for the duration.
200 reps, took a bit over 30 mins.

Car pushes seem to be a never-ending source of gains and novelty for me.

Backwards car pushes around a curve is the latest thrill.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom