all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Workout splits woth Kb

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
I imagine this has been asked before, I had a quick look and couldn't see the thread through.

Do common splits work with kb or at least mainly KB

By common splits I mean upper body, lower body or push, pull, legs

So for push
Over head press
Floor press
Crush grip front raises (maybe)

Pull
Kettbell row and all variations (makes for a fairly boring workout day)

Legs
Squat
Lunges
Swings

To me this seems a little like shoe Horning a workout protocol on to a piece if equipment rather than using it in a more effective way.

I am interested in hearing other thoughts on this

Something I did for a while was split up S&S .

SMTWTFS
RESTSWTGUSWTGUSWTGU

OLAD scheduling could definitely work, and might allow more overall volume on some calendars, depending on how much time one can invest.

I would think, squat, swing, press, could work on a 3 day rotation. Then loaded pistol, snatch, bent press? Etc.

I very much enjoyed my snatch swing press program. It was really a snatch program with swing and press as accessories to snatch training.

Last edited:
Yup definitely works. What it comes down to is this: are you intelligently progressing decent exercises (ie compound exercises like rows, squats, swings, presses)? If the answer is yes, you'll get stronger and bigger over time.

I had success running an upper/ Lower split. I did this because I had a "four days lifting in a row three days off in a row" schedule

I did something like:

Press
Pushups
Row
Chinups

Split Squat
Squat
Swings
Rollouts

I love both if these suggestions. Thanks guys

Never thought of OLAD, that would give a chance to really work on the volume of one exercise.

The upper/lower split is what I am playing woth right now. I have a three week break from both my jobs coming up (like most) so I have more time than usual and I was looking for a way of really hitting it for three weeks

Something I did for a while was split up S&S .

SMTWTFS
RESTSWTGUSWTGUSWTGU

OLAD scheduling could definitely work, and might allow more overall volume on some calendars, depending on how much time one can invest.

I would think, squat, swing, press, could work on a 3 day rotation. Then loaded pistol, snatch, bent press? Etc.

I very much enjoyed my snatch swing press program. It was really a snatch program with swing and press as accessories to snatch training.

That's really interesting. Did you make progress with S&S splitting SW and TGU to alternate days?

Currently Big 6 OLAD (PPL-ish).
Press
Clean
Swing
TGU
Snatch
Squat
Apply whatever progression model you like.

Last edited:
That's really interesting. Did you make progress with S&S splitting SW and TGU to alternate days?
Yes, but I think there were definitely some times when I considered a 5 week step load instead of 4. I tried to take ownership seriously and time was really scarce, compromising my S&S practice. But that's another story.

It works. When using them in a push,pull,hinge,squat format you have to get creative if your goal is to use them for basic resistance. Ultimately some other mode like barbell or sandbags will work better (read: cheaper) as you will need a lot of KBs in pairs to really make it work without some fussing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom