all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Would double 36kg build decent strength?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
i currently use heavier singles (50kg and 64kg) and am looking for some diversity.

I was going to purchase a second 50kg for double cleans and front squats, but feel it would be a bit much.

Would double 36kg still be enough to build some solid strength? I’ll be using it mostly for double cleans and squats; potentially double snatches one day..

Being able to squat, clean&press and snatch double 36 in the 1-5 range for solid reps and multiple sets would be decent in my books.
You can always milk a given kettlebell and build a great base before going to the next one.

Double 36s for 5 with quality technique is a solid start for some real amour building .. Your using a 50kg or 50lb right now?

Double 36kg on the KB strong programme and Double 36 on the One Programme would be a strong and conditioned individual

I was going to purchase a second 50kg for double cleans and front squats, but feel it would be a bit much.

If you're looking at cleaning and squatting 100kg, you might even consider a barbell. A program of power cleans and front squats with a barbell would an awesome physique and an athletic base to be reckoned with.

It'd be a very different feel from KB work though (a bar and plates also costs considerably more than kettlebells, not to mention storage as well). If you're set on sticking with KBs, a pair of 36kg bells would certainly 'make a man out of you'.

From here (and elsewhere, but I can't find the links now): The Best Squat Exercise | StrongFirst

Donnie Thompson (1,000lb squat) used 2 x 40kg kettlebells for 3 x 8 in training.
That would be one of my staples. I have sketchy shoulders and snatches are questionable, presses too.

Double clean and squats would be my bread and butter, along with 64kg swings.

If you're looking at cleaning and squatting 100kg, you might even consider a barbell. A program of power cleans and front squats with a barbell would an awesome physique and an athletic base to be reckoned with.

It'd be a very different feel from KB work though (a bar and plates also costs considerably more than kettlebells, not to mention storage as well). If you're set on sticking with KBs, a pair of 36kg bells would certainly 'make a man out of you'.

I do go to a gym but much prefer kettlebells. As mentioned above, my training would be cleans and squats, but likely with double 36 or 40kg kettlebells..

You say you think cleans and squats (as well as swings) would be enough to build a powerful, athletic stature? I would supplement with higher rep mobility for shoulders, etc but want to keep my weight training simple.

That would be one of my staples. I have sketchy shoulders and snatches are questionable, presses too.

Double clean and squats would be my bread and butter, along with 64kg swings.

I do go to a gym but much prefer kettlebells. As mentioned above, my training would be cleans and squats, but likely with double 36 or 40kg kettlebells..

You say you think cleans and squats (as well as swings) would be enough to build a powerful, athletic stature? I would supplement with higher rep mobility for shoulders, etc but want to keep my weight training simple.
Double KB front squats are a superb exercise: You'll probably not get 'bodybuilder big' unless you're squatting massive weights with a barbell on your back but squatting a pair of heavy KBs with definitely get you looking strong (the abdominal engagement is not to be sniffed at either) and swings and cleans will give you both explosiveness and staying power. What else do you need? If you can show a pair of 36kg bells who's boss you'll be one tough hombre, no question.

Something to think about..

How strong would someone be if he can do the dry fighting weight program or the moving target complex with double 36?

Something to think about..

How strong would someone be if he can do the dry fighting weight program or the moving target complex with double 36?

I am debating doing dfw with 36s over the summer, problem is i have to buy 2 36kg bells...

Also have kettlebell muscle and 701b on the list. Seems like if i dont stick to heavy weights i lose the ability to use them quickly, the smaller bell complexes are working well for fat loss but killing my pressing power at the moment

I am debating doing dfw with 36s over the summer, problem is i have to buy 2 36kg bells...

Also have kettlebell muscle and 701b on the list. Seems like if i dont stick to heavy weights i lose the ability to use them quickly, the smaller bell complexes are working well for fat loss but killing my pressing power at the moment

What weight will you be using for KBM if ever??

Is pressing heavy higher in the priority list??

What weight will you be using for KBM if ever??

Is pressing heavy higher in the priority list??

I have tested some KBM workouts and it seems like 20kgs is what allows me to hit the rest periods as prescribed.

I dont have a goal in terms of how much weight i can do in exercises, rather my goal is athletic performance for golf which i measure in how far i can hit the ball while staying injury free.

So basically i want to gain rotational speed without bulking up

I have tested some KBM workouts and it seems like 20kgs is what allows me to hit the rest periods as prescribed.

I dont have a goal in terms of how much weight i can do in exercises, rather my goal is athletic performance for golf which i measure in how far i can hit the ball while staying injury free.

So basically i want to gain rotational speed without bulking up

Keep calories in check so you don't add excess poundage

Double KB front squats are a superb exercise: You'll probably not get 'bodybuilder big' unless you're squatting massive weights with a barbell on your back but squatting a pair of heavy KBs with definitely get you looking strong (the abdominal engagement is not to be sniffed at either) and swings and cleans will give you both explosiveness and staying power. What else do you need? If you can show a pair of 36kg bells who's boss you'll be one tough hombre, no question.

This is great, thanks. I am likely avoiding snatches and presses unless very light due to previous shoulder injuries, and besides my gym has double 24kgs which I assume is nothing to scoff at either; double snatches look difficult.

I think I’ll get the double 40s and crack on with front squats cleans and swings for my strength / fitness and focus the rest of my attention on some mobility / prehab / hanging therapy!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom