all posts post new thread

Old Forum Would this work? (Heavy Double Press ?)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean Schniederjan

Level 3 Valued Member
Just got a second heavy bell.

Have not been pressing much at all lately and cannot press these.

I'm always amazed at Pavel's workshops how the tension drills help with heavy double cleans - is always automatic.

Could barely do a double clean with these and after some tension practice did an easy triple.

Did some isometric presses (failed presses in other words) and they started to rise a little bit.

Do you think playing around with these things over the course of a few months would lead to a double press without using smaller bells whatsoever?

Had a great session today, feels like it would work over time.

Would love to hear from the experts on this matter.

Can you strict press one kbell? If you can, how many times on each hand? I would work on that first.

But if you have lighter bells in pair I would use them for double presses, and heavy bells just for clean...  Also, pressing doubles requires better shoulder mobility.

Sasa

Even though the weights aren't going up, it still feels strong.  The "iso presses" -5 seconds of intense focused effort-carried over very nicely to the cleans.  The intention of the lift was altered.

Not sure I'm ready for a front squat with these behemouths quite yet.  Maybe I am.

Ralph, I'm of the opinion along with some other people a lot stronger that double presses are where its at for presses, ie doubles carry over to singles but not vice versa assuming you have the shoulder mobility.

Whens a good time to switch to doubles?I was thinking after a set of 8 reps
You should only switch to doubles once you've become proficient with singles.

Sean - What the Chief said. Remember last year at HSV? What was the foundational double KB exercise? And do you remember why? They make the whole body strong...

I can't remember if it was the clean or FSq Geoff.  My videos are busted so can't go back and review.

I would think clean because it sets up the press and FSq and its easier than both and the easy always comes before the more difficult?

Btw, I implemented your advice for puffing out the chest and mixed in some kick backs to fire up the glutes and went from 1 shaky rep to 9 solid reps double cleaning said heavy bells on Saturday.

Ended up going a bit rep crazy and paid for it with soreness yesterday in the ole posterior chain.

Still not sure about tackling front squats with this weight yet.   I tore my back to shreds with heavy front squats years ago (heavy front squats without spine strength is a bad idea) and am still a bit uneasy from that, but owning the clean Saturday was a big step forward.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom