all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Would two days of cardio along with Bryce Lane's 50/20 be too much exercise in a week?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vulcan300

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting back to doing the 50/20 Bryce Lane program I was doing sometime ago. For those that don't know what 50/20 is, fear not: Bryce Lane 50/20 Program

Twice a week I do 20 minutes of sandbag clean and press or sandbag shoulder and press. The other two days a week I would do sandbag zercher squats. Additionally, I would do two rounds of Shovelglove (about 10 minutes) before I did my 50/20 workouts. This results in a fairly packed workout 4 days a week.

I'm hoping to add two days of burpees (without the pushup portion) and jump rope as cardio. This would mean I'd be exercising six days a week with h one rest day. Would all of this be too much volume? Should I cut something out?

Thank you

Try it and see. If you are getting the results you want and feeling good, you’ll know it’s working. If not maybe you will need to add in more rest, perhaps by changing to a 3 on, 1 off schedule or eliminating a day of training from your week.

P.S. I have always called burpees sans the push-up portion “sprawls.”

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting back to doing the 50/20 Bryce Lane program I was doing sometime ago. For those that don't know what 50/20 is, fear not: Bryce Lane 50/20 Program

Twice a week I do 20 minutes of sandbag clean and press or sandbag shoulder and press. The other two days a week I would do sandbag zercher squats. Additionally, I would do two rounds of Shovelglove (about 10 minutes) before I did my 50/20 workouts. This results in a fairly packed workout 4 days a week.

I'm hoping to add two days of burpees (without the pushup portion) and jump rope as cardio. This would mean I'd be exercising six days a week with h one rest day. Would all of this be too much volume? Should I cut something out?

Thank you
Like the others have said try it and see if it’s giving you what you want. Which by the way you didn’t state. What are your objectives with this training plan?

For some folks a week like this would be devastating, for others a rest week…

Like everyone else said - you can try and see if you get what you are trying to get.

I would not do this, not because of too much volume, but because I don't know what the burpees add but I can see them taking away from your main work. If you want cardio that doesn't impact your main work (C&P, zercher squat) I would probably look at easy running... But I'm biased, my perspective is that that is what you're missing here, not burpees.

If I were to do this I would skip burpees and focus on something like jumping rope, rowing, cycling, or ski erg for the cardio portion. However, my only additional question is what size sandbags are you working with, and how much will you be able to "scale up" going forward. I find that in my (albeit short) stint with the indoor rower so far I have found my strength to be an asset along with technical improvement, of course.

Training with the 20 min blocks of things like you've mentioned above is a good method, but you might get away from training for strength after a while if you can't "bag up" -- that is one thing where the kettlebell excels in being able to step-load your way as you progress. Also, you can "start strong" and throttle back during the work set, if needed.

Like the others have said try it and see if it’s giving you what you want. Which by the way you didn’t state. What are your objectives with this training plan?

For some folks a week like this would be devastating, for others a rest week…
I don't have anything too specific. I just want to become stronger, have more endurance, and look better. I just don't have specific numbers for those goals

If I were to do this I would skip burpees and focus on something like jumping rope, rowing, cycling, or ski erg for the cardio portion. However, my only additional question is what size sandbags are you working with, and how much will you be able to "scale up" going forward. I find that in my (albeit short) stint with the indoor rower so far I have found my strength to be an asset along with technical improvement, of course.

Training with the 20 min blocks of things like you've mentioned above is a good method, but you might get away from training for strength after a while if you can't "bag up" -- that is one thing where the kettlebell excels in being able to step-load your way as you progress. Also, you can "start strong" and throttle back during the work set, if needed.
I'm at 50 lbs right now, I can easily jump 10-25 lbs once I reach 50 reps in 20 minutes.

I train 6-7 days a week but auto-regulate so I can train at high frequency. I am a big fan of 50/20 and ran it the way you propose with two days of cardio (though my cardio is almost exclusively low HR). My only recommendation is to build up gradually to 50 reps and not treat every session as a metcon. Good luck!

As someone who has run 50/20 your going to be getting some cardio anyway.

I suggest really low maf heart rate stuff if you do add extra cardio.

50/20 was a programme designed to hit most fitness qualities such as max strength, strength endurance, cardio etc

Blech burpees.

Honestly, I'd rather do Zumba than burpees.

Anything sufficiently humiliating, really.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom