all posts post new thread

Old Forum Wrestling training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Siemen

Level 3 Valued Member
I recently got interested in wrestling, Olympic wrestling to be exact. Now there aren't any wrestling clubs in my neighbourhood (not even an SFG or future SFG courses to be located here, can you imagine the horror of having nothing around you :p ) in Belgium.

Being disappointed I will probably never wrestle myself, I would like to ask to anyone here if someone knows the qualities of a good wrestler and how they train.

There may not be wrestling where you are, but there is almost surely judo, or bjj (which will include no-gi submission grappling), and possibly sambo, maybe even shuai jiao/chiao.

If you want to be a grappler, then find a school and grapple.  It might not be exactly the style you want, but if it's important to you, then you will decide that grappling is better than no grappling.

As to how wrestlers train, it varies, but always includes a ton of drilling and actual wrestling.  Everything else training-wise is secondary to this.

If wrestling is going to be your sport than you need to treat strength training as gpp. don't try and make training sport specific. Use barbell to build strength and keep intensity high but volume low as wrestling is a very tough sport. I would highly recommend 5/3/1 two day template with ab,neck and low back work each session.

just found this site: http://www.olympicwrestling.be/Contact/Vindeenclubinjebuurt/tabid/128/language/nl-BE/Default.aspx

so it seems there are some possiblities to wrestle in belgium (might pick it up myself)...

besides that there ARE a lot of BJJ/shooto gyms in belgium

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom