all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Wrist discomfort from OS crawling

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jon A

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello!

I've been doing some Original Strength crawling for a while now, and very much enjoy it as an exercise. The only problem is, my wrists don't seem to like being at the 90-degree angle they assume when you place them on the ground. I'm good for maybe 1 minute, then it starts to get a little uncomfortable.

I've found an OS video online (on YouTube) in which Tim Anderson suggests some options to get around the problem.

He also suggests that it often gets easier over time.

Have people found this to be the case? Is it just a question of gradually adding more crawling until you get used to it?

And has anyone found any exercises you can do to help the process along?

(I don't think I have any mechanical wrist problems - thankfully, they otherwise seem fine.)

Thanks very much,

Jon

Do you have wrist pain in any other situations? Is it only with the extension of the wrist like with crawling, or any pain with flexion? Do you have pain with unweighted wrist movement?

For what it's worth, when I came out of a cast 3 years ago for a broken hand, I found OS resets to be invaluable for my horribly stiff and unflexible wrist in being able to resume S&S and especially the getup and bearing weight on the hand. (with physio approval). However, I started with rocking only before crawling as I could more easily control degree of flexion and how much weight I placed on it. Maybe for you a regression to this, or decrease your crawling volume a bit?

There could be a number of things wrong that would be difficult to diagnose online, you may want to check with an MD, or a physio (sports related if you can). Good luck!

Do you have wrist pain in any other situations? Is it only with the extension of the wrist like with crawling, or any pain with flexion? Do you have pain with unweighted wrist movement?

For what it's worth, when I came out of a cast 3 years ago for a broken hand, I found OS resets to be invaluable for my horribly stiff and unflexible wrist in being able to resume S&S and especially the getup and bearing weight on the hand. (with physio approval). However, I started with rocking only before crawling as I could more easily control degree of flexion and how much weight I placed on it. Maybe for you a regression to this, or decrease your crawling volume a bit?

There could be a number of things wrong that would be difficult to diagnose online, you may want to check with an MD, or a physio (sports related if you can). Good luck!

Thanks very much for your reply - and I'm glad to hear that your broken hand healed up so well.

Thankfully I don't have wrist pain otherwise and the discomfort only arises during crawling etc. I don't have discomfort in flexion.

Handily, my dad's a doctor so I'll double check with him, but it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with my wrists - just that they get a bit of a shock from moving a good portion of my bodyweight around on the floor :). It may be that they're not flexible enough yet and are being pushed beyond their ROM with weight and complaining a little.

I should probably stress that it's only discomfort - it doesn't actually hurt per se. I'm just being careful.

Thanks,

Jon

I have a similar issue. If I put my wrists at 90 degree angle and put weight on it, it starts to get uncomfortable.

For me, the issue started when I first started training for One Arm Push-up. I think I ended up putting a lot of strain on my wrist - more than it was accustomed to.

Even though I stopped training for the OAP, this new discomfort never went away. Now, even with a standard PU I can still get the same discomfort.

I'd advise caution. This is not something you should ignore hoping it will get better over time. It's better to do modifications where there is no discomfort at all.

Skip crawling - or do the easier progressions. Work on gentle crawling. Stretch your wrists. Work on your wrist mobility.

I have a similar issue. If I put my wrists at 90 degree angle and put weight on it, it starts to get uncomfortable.

For me, the issue started when I first started training for One Arm Push-up. I think I ended up putting a lot of strain on my wrist - more than it was accustomed to.

Even though I stopped training for the OAP, this new discomfort never went away. Now, even with a standard PU I can still get the same discomfort.

I'd advise caution. This is not something you should ignore hoping it will get better over time. It's better to do modifications where there is no discomfort at all.

Thanks very much for letting me know - I'll certainly bear that in mind and takes things cautiously. And I'm very sorry to hear your problem hasn't gone away. If I come across anything that helps me I'll let you know.

Hello,

At one time i hurt my wrist during crawling, by twisting while pushing. It took months to heal, and i ve found this kind of exercices to be usefull :

I practice the first 3 in my warm up ; now i crawl around for about 10 mn multiples times per week, no pain.

Hope you ll heal, but take your time

Hello,

At one time i hurt my wrist during crawling, by twisting while pushing. It took months to heal, and i ve found this kind of exercices to be usefull :

I practice the first 3 in my warm up ; now i crawl around for about 10 mn multiples times per week, no pain.

Hope you ll heal, but take your time

That's a wonderful video - thank you very much. Very concise with lots of information - I was finding the sheer number of wrist articles on the internet rather bewildering, so that'll be a great help!

And I'm glad you can now crawl with no problems - that's a great achievement after an injury.

All the best,

Jon

Indian clubs, macebells, parallel bar dips, barbell front squats with Olympic rack, and reverse planks help me keep my wrists mobile and strong in a wide ROM.

Indian clubs, macebells, parallel bar dips, barbell front squats with Olympic rack, and reverse planks help me keep my wrists mobile and strong in a wide ROM.
Thanks very much for the tips! I've never even heard of some of those. I'll check them out.

Have a look here:

Personally I use OS crawling for fixing my wrist. But it’s all individual and a case of making your wrist work through all angles.

Have a look here:

Personally I use OS crawling for fixing my wrist. But it’s all individual and a case of making your wrist work through all angles.

Thanks very much for that - that's a very helpful resource, thanks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom